• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift, tire, wheel, SYE dilema!!

Genster

NAXJA Forum User
hey, this might be a lil long, but please stick with it. my Jeep info is found below. alright, im getting 15x10 rims cheap, so i was planning on 33's. for that id need a 4.5" lift correct??? and since id need a 4.5", then id need an SYE and a new rear driveshaft also? im not planning on flexing very hard if i get all this done, so would i need an SYE right away? or does that come down to my vibrations from the lift if i need an SYE or not? or would it be more of driveshaft angle? any help at all would be very much appreciated. i dont know too much about the SYE thing at all, but i have alot of time to look. hope i dont need new tires for a couple yrs yet, b/c i cant afford all this yet!!!

95 XJ Sport NP231 AW4 D-30 Front C-8.25 Rear

any help at all will be apreciated, and ill check thru as much of this site as i can to learn more. just wanted to get your opinions on what to do!

My friend has a 91 XJ with a Rough Country 4.5" lift and BFG 32x10.50 and he still rubs a little when offroad, he even trimmed up his fenders a little but still has some rubbage. He currently has no SYE, but says he has some vibrations and will install one eventually. I have been in his Jeep a few times and haven't noticed anything, but he knows it better then me.

I have a 2000XJ with a RE 3.5" lift and had to do an SYE to eliminate the vibrations I had between 30-40mph. After reading up on various Jeep websites I learned that the T-case rear output shaft was changed after 96? and almost any lift on a post 96 will require some type of modification to the t-case. I had an Advanced Adapters HD SYE and a Tom Woods driveshaft installed and all vibrations are now gone.
I have also read that on the older XJ's (pre 96) some peaople get away without having to do an SYE at all, maybe just some degree shims will solve your problems. Basically you will need to install your lift and measure your driveline angles and go from there.

Hope this helps

Silver Bullet

The '95 still had the old style transfer case output, so you may not need a SYE. However, you would be wise to at least change to the slightly longer YJ slip yoke, which also provides a more open throat for operating at more of an angle without binding.

Vibrations are due to both u-joint angle, the slip yoke wobbling on the output shaft if there isn't sufficient length of engagement, and (especially in the new tailshaft design) flex of the output shaft itself. The only real way to know if you'll have vibrations is to install the lift and find out.

Remember that you can't really assume a 4.5" lift will be enough for 33" tires. What's the backspacing on the rims? If they don't extend out far enough, tires that wide will be rubbing against everything. If the rims extend too far out, you'll still have to do major trimming of the sheet metal.

Don't forget about extending your bump stops.

Back