• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Can You Determine if You Have a Limited Slip or Open Differential

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 Comanche, eliminator. It has the Dana 35c. But can I be sure if it is limited slip or open??

It does have a metal tag but I cannot read a thing on it.

The only certain way is to open the differential and look at the carrier. You can check for a working Trac-Lok, but if it has worn out it acts like an open diff.

To test: Park vehicle on level surface. DO NOT set parking brake. Block the front wheels and leave tranny in neutral (if automatic, not Park).

Jack up one rear wheel. Try to turn wheel. If it doesn't turn, or offers significant resistance, you have a working Trac-Lok. However, if it does turn, that can mean an open diff OR it can mean a Trac-Lok with worn out clutches.

Look in your glove box under all the Kleenex, fuses, pocket knives, and pens. There may be a silver sticker stuck in there that says there's a limited slip in the rear. Check, you may have one, mine did.

CheapXJ said:
start on dry pavement, tach it up, drop the clutch, count number of black marks.

1 = open

2 = limited slip

:D
Dirt road or dirt driveway, alittle easier on things. That or open it up and look.

my .02 Daryl

Back