• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Coils Questions

Jerm S.

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking about doing a rear coil swap on my XJ, But i have some concerns,

Here are some specs to help you,
My Xj is an 88' 4.0 aw4 and 231 W/AA sye

About 7" lift in the front with long arm setup and a RC D44, full width.

Rear end is some what needing improvement, I bought rear springs from Rock Krawler and the guy told me that they were 5.5" lift so i bought a shackle to go with them, and for about the first 3 weeks it sat at about 7" and then as the springs got broken in they sagged to maybe 4.5" and they are really stiff, They don't flex for nothing. So i thought that i would go to coils since i have a set of front coils from my xj sitting around,

My question is this, I like the idea of a track bar so as i'm thinking about how to do this i'm going to use a track bar in my design, but what i wanted to run is two long lower arms and one short upper that connected to one of the longer lowers. I have heard that in converting to Rear coils that Xj's can become very unstable. I have heard that if you are going down a steep grade and had to stop for some reason on that grade that rear suspension can "unload" and cause a very hairy problem, My xj is a trail only rig it never sees any highway or city streets im really only worried about off road stability, can some one tell me if i need to worry about it or not really. I guess that my other option would be to go with some big offroad leafs or alcn leafs but they are pricy and i'm not sure they would flex as well as a coil setup would.

any help on this subject would be great, i know there is a few of you out there that have done it, i would also like to see some pics of how they are setup i know a lot of you guys go for the trianglulated 4 link design and i'm curious as to how you run your links.

Thanks for any help and guidence that you can give.

Jerm S.

Jerm S. said:
I'm thinking about doing a rear coil swap on my XJ, But i have some concerns,

Here are some specs to help you,
My Xj is an 88' 4.0 aw4 and 231 W/AA sye

About 7" lift in the front with long arm setup and a RC D44, full width.

Rear end is some what needing improvement, I bought rear springs from Rock Krawler and the guy told me that they were 5.5" lift so i bought a shackle to go with them, and for about the first 3 weeks it sat at about 7" and then as the springs got broken in they sagged to maybe 4.5" and they are really stiff, They don't flex for nothing. So i thought that i would go to coils since i have a set of front coils from my xj sitting around,

My question is this, I like the idea of a track bar so as i'm thinking about how to do this i'm going to use a track bar in my design, but what i wanted to run is two long lower arms and one short upper that connected to one of the longer lowers. I have heard that in converting to Rear coils that Xj's can become very unstable. I have heard that if you are going down a steep grade and had to stop for some reason on that grade that rear suspension can "unload" and cause a very hairy problem, My xj is a trail only rig it never sees any highway or city streets im really only worried about off road stability, can some one tell me if i need to worry about it or not really. I guess that my other option would be to go with some big offroad leafs or alcn leafs but they are pricy and i'm not sure they would flex as well as a coil setup would.

any help on this subject would be great, i know there is a few of you out there that have done it, i would also like to see some pics of how they are setup i know a lot of you guys go for the trianglulated 4 link design and i'm curious as to how you run your links.

Thanks for any help and guidence that you can give.

Jerm S.

First of all... why do you insist on a trackbar? You can build a nice triangulated 4 link that you won't need a trackbar with. Second, you have a lot of control over whether your rear end unloads at various times. To do it correctly, you're going to have to do a lot of reasearch and a lot of number crunching. If you want to take the "easy way out" but still achieve lots of flex, you may want to think about some chevy leaves (~63" long) and maybe inboarding your springs (talk to NorCalXJ). Personally, I would do the leaves long before I jumped into a 4 link without doing lots of research first.
Billy

A rear triangulated 3 or 4 link is your best/easiest setup. As for rear coils, I'm not yet sold. The unloading I've seen isn't just when going downhill but everytime the Jeep is offcamber or even dropping a front tire off a ledge. If you DO use coils you're going to need an Anti-Rock, no if's ands or buts about it.

vintagespeed said:
A rear triangulated 3 or 4 link is your best/easiest setup. As for rear coils, I'm not yet sold. The unloading I've seen isn't just when going downhill but everytime the Jeep is offcamber or even dropping a front tire off a ledge. If you DO use coils you're going to need an Anti-Rock, no if's ands or buts about it.

1/4 elip is nice because the springs stay connected to the axle....

so when the axle drops, it "pulls" on the vehicle....

waayyy less unloading.

I haven't been too impressed with the rear coil conversions I've seen.

not to say it can't be done.

Back