• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Automatic door locks

KinesthesiaDrums

NAXJA Forum User
i believe this would be the right place to pose this question....

kay...i've got a 1990 xj Loredo package with the auto locks and windows....
i got it last summer when i wrecked my other one *crys*...which didn't have any power extras..

when i got this jeep it was in terrible condition...used my old (89) as a parts jeep and swapped out everything that needed it....including the entire interior....while the doors were apart, i took all the lock mechanisms out (not the actuator motors) and cleaned them up because i figured they weren't working because of dirt build-up and/or old grease that had gotten thick...put them back in and they all worked....for the most part...
but over time they slowly stopped working again....first the rear two doors...then the driver's side slowly went out...and then the hatch quit working....the front passenger side still works, but sometimes it's slow...

when i say slow, or slowly went out...i mean...i have to hold the switch to lock or unlock and the door will slowly switch to whatever position...or i would have to bump the switch multiple times and each time the door would switch a little closer towards whatever position.....

after a few trips to the junk yard and taking parts off a 1996 powered XJ here's the results:
no improvement after switching the lock actuator motor...
no improvement after swtiching the lock mechanism that was originally mounted with the newer motor in the '96....
so...my next hypothesis is that the actuators might not be getting enough power????
i have no clue where to start with that...or if thats a possibility.....
so here i am...

can anyone help?
or make suggestions of what to try?

Door lock upgrade

Hey Drums, this is a common problem with pre '91's. All the door lock solenoids take their power from the r door lock switch and disperse from there. I believe that they are all wired in series there for causing a voltage drop. You can install 2 relays between the r door switch and the other solenoids. You won't have to do the r door because it gets all the juice. Here's a schematic that will help you with the upgrade. I tell you what, I did it to mine and a buddy that owns an '87 and it'll about slam the doors shut if they are open. If you have questions after you check out the schematic, let me know and I'll see if I can round some more info.
See ya...............Mikey

I took the switches apart and cleaned the contacts on mine this week. They're all working now, but they are as snappy as I'm used to in my other cars.

PaulJ said:
I took the switches apart and cleaned the contacts on mine this week. They're all working now, but they are as snappy as I'm used to in my other cars.
Trust me, if you have a '90 or older you will want to do this upgrade. I will almost gaurantee that they will slowly degrade and finally fail. The relays make an "Oh my God!" difference. Very worth the hour of time it takes to do.

Back