• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel questions

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
15X7, 15X8, 15X10...i don't know a whole lot about each and looked it up on the search, but can't really find any conclusions. What are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

I'm running a 3.5 RE kit and am hoping to put on 31s (would prefer not to trim fenders at all). let me know what you think!

Choose your tire, then get a rim to fit the tire. Rim width is controlled by the tread width. It's as bad to mount a tire on a rim that is too wide, as is too narrow. As a tire gets taller, the difference between rim width and tread width can get a little bigger.

Most of the tire manufacturers have specific guidelines on what rim width is required for each tire size.

Offroading, a rim width on the narrow side is an advantage. The tire sidewall will protect the bead and you can run lower air pressures. On road, a wider rim width will give you a better ride.

ChiXJeff

how wide 31's?

-friend of mine with 31x10.50's went from 15x7 (stk) to an 15x8 (ar) and rubs on full lock. i would have stayed w/ 15x7.
-some dude that rides in my area has 31x10.50's with 15x10. no comment

-g

while rim width is very important, perhaps more important is the backspacing; running a wider and taller tire than stock can and will cause "interferance" between the tire and the various metal pieces in your fender wells. For example: I run 33X12.50 with the stock wheels (for now), and I get atrocious tire rub on the lower CA's as I near full lock. I also rub inside the fenderwell at full compression, but that doesn't really bother me. I would like to change to a 15X8, or perhaps a 15x10 wheel in the future. If I do this, and don't change the backspacing, the tires will still rub where they do now, but if I go from 4.5" to say 3" the wheels will move out 1.5". perhaps this will keep the tires from rubbing, but perhaps it will allow them to hit the fender under compression (which is why I cut all of that away). also, running a narrow wheel with a wider tire can cause premature wear in the center of the tread, and running a narrow tire with a wide wheel looks really dumb. but that's over an extended period of time (especially the dumbness). just my thoughts.

Back