• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crank position sensor ohms-have searched

crazy4moab

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone out there know what the ohms should be for the CPS? I can't seem to find it in my service manual. Also another question, I've been having issues with my ignition the past year. I've gone through 2 ignition modules and 2 CPS's. Is there another component that may be contributing to this type of problem??? If so, WHAT THE HECK IS IT!!!!! Can you tell I'm going crazy because of this! :helpme: Any info that you can give would be greatly appriciated

PROCEDURE

Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

cpscon.gif

SimpleXJ

Matthew Currie said:
on an 87-90 the CPS should read 125-175 ohms on a warm engine.

Just to play devil's advocate ... how do you take a measurement on a warm engine if the engine won't start?
:wierd:

Resistance should be close to 275 ohms, IIRC.

You can also check it by measuring AC voltage it generates when cranking motor. 0-5 VAC scale on DVM - should show .5 - .8 volts AC. (It's a magnet & the flywheel spinning by it turns it into a tiny 'generator' - that's how it tells the engine computer when the engine is at TDC.)

More detailed diagnostics at : Basic Diagnostics

SimpleXJ said:
PROCEDURE

Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

cpscon.gif

SimpleXJ

This only applies to Chrysler systems (91 up). The REnix system should definitely deliver an ohmmeter reading, and infinite resistance is a positive diagnosis that it's dead

Crank sensor

Thanks for the input, guys. Sorry about not stating the year but my sig. was there. Anyway, its a '90 4.0L. They are a glorified ABS sensor and work on the same principal. I found out that the problem was the ingnition module. Went to Autozone and had it tested. (easier part to remove) So now that brings into effect the second question that I asked. Is there another component that is causing my module to fail. This new one makes 3 in the last year. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pic "simple". But I was looking at and was scratching my head cause mine looked nothing like that. Sorry, again, for not stating the year.

Thanks again folks!!!!

Cps

Recently checked CPS on my 90 4 liter. Resistance was 232 ohms on a cold motor, output voltage was .42 volts cranking. This vehicle starts and runs perfect.

Crazy4, what type of sparkplug wires are you running? These Renix systems do not take well to the very low resistance types; you need at least about 3-4K ohms per foot. Solid cores will not work at all.

Check your wires. If they are to high a resistance in your plug wires you will have arcing in the coil which will destroy it internally.

Back