• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Problem...weird

St3mpy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I was drinving this morning and noticed my heater wasn't working. It had plenty of time to heat up, but no go. Well, after about 10 min of driving, the temp light comes one (Just the basic dash), and then the ehater strated working :wow:. Well, after ideling at a light for a while, the temp light goes off (Had to get to school, so thats why I kept going), and the heater stops working again. So, how are these to things linked together, and how do I fix them?

You might check out the heater valve. It is just in font of the firewall on the pass side arount where the hose goes into the heater core. It is vacuum operated and could be getting stuck or having vac problems. Just a thought.

Check your coolant level. If the coolant is low, it won't flow through the heater core and you won't have heat.

This may be a stupid reply to your question, but have you checked the antifreeze level? (and not just the overflow tank?)

Man, talk about being dumb, that thing was almost bone dry. Which means....I got a leak somewhere. :bawl: Wasn't that long ago I put some in there. Its not in the garage though....

Well, I'm pretty sure that fixed the overheating problem, but didn't fix the heater . Havn't looked at the vac or the heatercore, but thats for another day. Its 10:00 here. Any suggestions are welcome.

If you let it get very low, there's probably some air trapped in the system. Keep an eye on the coolant level over the next few days. More than likely you'll need to add a bit every day as the air pockets find their way out. Once all the air has been purged from the system the heat should work again.

Back