• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moron (I mean "more on") subframes...

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
I tried posting this question in one of the recient subframe threads, but I guess nobody's checking them anymore...
I have a few questions about attaching my 1/4" 3x4x3 channel. How big of holes should I drill/torch for the plug welds? And how many should I do in a given area? And... just in case I can't find somebody with more experience to do the welds... what settings should I start with on a Miller 220 gas mig? (I can do perty good bench welds, but I'd rather not attempt to do the unibody yet).
Thanks (and sorry for the "noob-like" post!) :anon:
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
Ok, NorCalXJ says 1/2" holes about 2" apart staggered. CRASH says on a my welder, the lowest settings will work best. How's that sound? Anybody else got any input? Ashman? Beezil?
Billy

1" holes, 4-5" apart are all that's necessary. Ever tried getting a good weld into a 1/2" hole?

On the ones we've done recently at URF, we've only do the seams.

The 20" long subframe holding my long arms on for the past 4 years is not welded at all, there are 4 sleeves going through the frame on each side(welded) and 4 9/16's bolts holding the angle iron to the sleeved frame.

CRASH

CRASH said:
1" holes, 4-5" apart are all that's necessary. Ever tried getting a good weld into a 1/2" hole?

On the ones we've done recently at URF, we've only do the seams.

The 20" long subframe holding my long arms on for the past 4 years is not welded at all, there are 4 sleeves going through the frame on each side(welded) and 4 9/16's bolts holding the angle iron to the sleeved frame.

CRASH

I've heard not to weld long straight beads on the unibody because it weakens it (like perforating a piece of paper?)... is that not a legitimate concern?
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I've heard not to weld long straight beads on the unibody because it weakens it (like perforating a piece of paper?)... is that not a legitimate concern?
Billy

Only if you don' know what you are doing with a welder.

Stitch welding is a common and acceptable practice. You can't overheat the metal, and you can't leave a bunch of burned through areas. They will propagate cracks.

As an exampple, have you noted the way the frame mount on the LCA is attached the unit body? That's right, 4 long beads.

CRASJ

I'll ditto URF's professional opinion on the matter....

1" holes are groovey, if you have the ability to punch ob-rounds or slots, I like those mo'betta'.

Back