• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is Your Lift Configuration?

AJ-MJ

NAXJA Forum User
How many inches of lift do currently have?

If you would like to share the name brand and if you are satisfied with it, that might be interesting too!

What size tires do you have mounted?

What size rims do you have and what is the back spacing?

Is there any rubbing ? Where?

Did you trim anything? What and how?

Any suggestions!! ??

Rubicon Express ~5.5" Extreme Duty with OME shocks. Rides very nicely.
Running 35" MT/Rs on 15x8 3.75" BS black steelies.
Haven't flexed it up a lot yet, but it did rub the bumper on compression with a little turning. So I shortened the sides on the bumper.
TJ front flares up front, minor trimming in back (MJ) but I will need more.
Edit: small side pic of the front fender area.
image.php

Last edited:
you probably don't even want to know mine, since it uses axles from a Toyota and a Wagoneer and I don't have a single "lift" part on it :D

but here ya go anyway:

Waggy D44 front, YJ main leafs with mixture underneath SOA, Toyota 8" in the rear, SOA on MJ springs with assorted mixture of leafs. Sit's about 7 inches, maybe 8. Right now on 33x12.50s on 15x10 with 3.75 BS. The 35x12.50 MTRs and 15x10 with 2.5 BS are waiting and wont rub either. the fenders are cut to the metal ridge where the stock flare was.

I am currently running Clayton's long arm kit with Skyjacker 6" coils and leafs. RE trackbar and Currie steering. Running 33" MT/Rs on 15x7 with 4.0" backspacing. I sawzalled the wheelwells and just remounted the stock flares. No tire rubbing except the tires hit the long arms at full lock. I need to work on the bumpstops and I need longer shocks in the front but overall I am very happy with the results.

Here is a pic with my 31's and before I cut the fenders. This was right after installing the longarm lift.

*Warning* Poser forklift picture....
resize1.jpg

Bryan

Rustys 8.5 long-arm kit with 1 inch spacer (ARB Bumper w/ winch, to sit level), 35x12.50x15 with 3.75 backspacing, BushWackers.... Absolutly no rubbing even on full flex and with the wheels turned.. ( wanted to go with 38s but didnt like the cost, that and Virgina state law)

Right at 5" up front, 6" rear. Front is achieved through RE 4.5" XJ coils which settled to ~5"; rear is a combo of Rusty's 3" leafs, 2" blocks and a 1.5" shackle. Skip Rusty's leafs - mine sagged fast and the bushings in my shackles are toast, however they flex very well. Shocks are TeraFlex long travel TJ shocks, but I'd rather have a Bilstein 5150 instead (although more expensive). Currently short arms with RE lowers and stock uppers; mid arms will go on at some point.

Current tires are 33x10.5 BFGoodrich MT/KMs mounted on 15x8 TJ Canyons with 5.25" of backspacing. I'd like a little less backspacing, say around the 4.5" area. I like the look of the stock Canyons but they won't be there forever.

I have zero rubbing thanks to a 4.5" angle grinder and an air body saw. Don't be afraid to cut the body if you wish to keep a lower CoG and run larger tires. 33s and 5"-6" is nothing new and it works well; I have ample room for 35s at my current configuration. I basically cut the outline of the stock flares up front and took the rears off, cutting to the mounting holes; I also chopped the rear quarters even with the tail lights and the fronts even with the turn signals. To help keep the tires from biting the LCAs, you can adjust your steering stops with washers if needed.

4.5" RE SuperFlex with .75" spacers up front, 33x10.50 BFG M/T's mounted on 15x8 Canyon wheels with 5.25" backspacing. I did cut the fenders, I cut them flush with the bottom of the front turn signal like most XJer's do and proceded to take about 1/4" of fender all the way around, then on the corners were the tire is more prone to rub I took off about 1". The flares are still in the factory location, no need to relocate them. For the rear I cut and folded the bottom area of the fenders as far in as I could go. The tires run up front on the coil spring tower and the used to run on the control arms...I added some washers to the bump stops and fixed that. In the rear they rub at the top/side of the wheel well. I plan on adding 3" bump stops up front...maybe 2.5" right now I have 2" and I think I need just a little tiny bit more of bump stop for my set up to work how I want it to.

~3.5" lift

Sagged Rancho 3" coils + 1.5" spacers, front shocks are 27" extended, 16" compressed (stud top, bar pin bottom)

dakota pack + XJ main leaf and MJ shackle. stock ZJ rear shocks (made BPE's out of the swaybar mounts, eye mount on bottom) longer MJ bumpstops were also used.

36x12.50 Swamper TSLs on 15x10 wheels w/ 4" backspacing and a complete unadulterated lack of respect for ANY sheetmetal to make them fit.

I rub the lower control arms at full lock and a little bit of the inner fender when the front is dropped on one side and stuffed on the other, basically, it's hard to make it rub :D

~6.5 - 7 in RE 5.5 w/ ORGS ACOS up front. Running OME LT shocks

Swamper TSL 33" x 12 on a 15 inch American Racing Baja rim w/ 3.75" backspacing.

Had some major rubbing before the trimming, after taking a good inch and a half or two inches out of the wheel wells I have not found any spots that rub, I have not hard it NEARLY at full flex yet, I can see some spots that will need to be addressed.

XTrmXJ: what are you running in the way of bump stops? I need to get mine tuned in.

-Scott

Alrighty I got up front 5" lift with 3" teraflex springs with 2" spacers, steering is completely stock i.e. trackbar, tierod, all that. Out back I got Dakota leaf springs and 2" or 1.5" blocks, Welded rear with 33" Super Swamper SSR's and OME shocks. 15x8 aluminum rims and lots of trimming and trail damage.
DIG IT!

~6.5 - 7 in RE 5.5 w/ ORGS ACOS up front. Running OME LT shocks

Swamper TSL 33" x 12 on a 15 inch American Racing Baja rim w/ 3.75" backspacing.

Had some major rubbing before the trimming, after taking a good inch and a half or two inches out of the wheel wells I have not found any spots that rub, I have not hard it NEARLY at full flex yet, I can see some spots that will need to be addressed.

XTrmXJ: what are you running in the way of bump stops? I need to get mine tuned in.

-Scott
----------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt do any thing to the bump stops, I left them stock, because with that much of a coil it will prevent it from hitting the BushWacker fender flares or anything else when I flex out.. The coils can only compress so much.. Jon

Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!!!!

My MJ is work in progress. Currently, 31X10.50s and Gambler rims w/5.5 BS. Went from 3" to 4.5" and halfway to 6+".

In the front I have 4.5 coils and if the superbowl doesn't get my way I hope to add 1.5 BBs. Additionally, 3" bumper stops that screw in at the bottom of the coils.

In the back I have an AAL and SOA conversion so I gained 6-7 inches. No extra bumber stops at this point.

After I get the front even with the back. I was planning to put 33X12.50s. But 35's may be possible. I am concerned on how to trim and how much.

I have already bought American Eagle 15X8 3.25 BS. With that kind of BS I was plannig 6" BushWacker fender flares. Any other options??

1988' XJ
33" BFG at's on 15x7 Stock Ecco Rims
33" Swamper Radials on 15x7 Rockcrawlers
Front:
4.5" Rubicon Coils, 2" Spacer
Rusty's Adjustable Upper and Lower Control arms
Rusty's HD Trac Bar with frame brace
Rusty's Steering Box Brace
JKS Sway Bar Discos, Bar Pins and Shock Conversion
Rubicon Express Tie Rod-old style
New style Drag link- larger tre's
Stainless Brake Lines
RS9000x shocks
Old Man EMU Steering Stablizer
ORGS stainless bump stop
Rear:
Rubicon Express 6" Leafs
ORGS Boomerag Shackle
Old Man EMU Shocks
ORGS Lower Shock Mount
Stainless Brake line
Rancho U-bolts
DPG bump stop plate
ORGS extended bump stops

4.11 gears/ARB in the rear/Rubicon SYE w CV Shaft
Bunch of skids and rocker guards.
That is the list, Juice

Front:

Rusty's 4.5" coils up front (5" at the moment).
Rusty's control arms, the lower being fixed, the upper being adjustable.
Rusty's adjustable track bar.
Rubicon Express drop-down brackets.
Bilstein shocks.

Rear:

Rusty's springs minus lower leaf (too hard when complete and too short for the application, at the moment at 5.5").
Rusty's +0.75" shackles.
No sway bar (of course).
Bilstein shocks.

Wheels/Tires: 15x7 with 4.5" BS, 32x11.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains

Rubbing: At the lower control arms at full lock, only after the RE drop brackets were installed.

Trim:

Front : front of fender to the level of the corner light. Also the lip under the flare at the front of the opening. Picture below:

omemu.jpg

Rear: just folded the lip around the fender opening.

Binding: Yes, at the axle end of the track bar as shown below:

10.jpg

Probably at the TRE at the pitman arm as well. Also I just found a rubbing mark on my steering stabilizer, probably the TRE at the middle of the drag link.

Hope this is useful.

------

John

sky jacker 8 in coils
jks adj uppers
jks adj lowers
jks quicker discos
re drop brackets and braces
jks adj t bar
rustys hd t bar mount
stainles brake lines
orgs control arm skids
sky jacker drop pitman arm
stock drag link and tie rod ( hy steer coming very soon )
rancho rsx shocks
jks shock conversion
jks bpe's

re spring packs from 5.5 xd kit
1.75 daystar greasable shackles
degree shims
rsx shocks
bpe's
stainles brake line

33 12.50 15 swamper radials on 15 x 8 ar 767's w 4 in bs

456 precision gears with detroits front and rear
posi lock
297 shafts with 760's and welded caps

a whole lot more but im tired of typing

stockish: 1.75" spacer up front, and 1.5" shackle in back. 33X12.50 tsl's on stock wheels. That's all gonna change when I get my 6" lift and go to 35's. BTW, it rubs really badly, but it all fits (thanks Mr cut off wheel)

What LAW??

XTrmXJ said:
Rustys 8.5 long-arm kit with 1 inch spacer (ARB Bumper w/ winch, to sit level), 35x12.50x15 with 3.75 backspacing, BushWackers.... Absolutly no rubbing even on full flex and with the wheels turned.. ( wanted to go with 38s but didnt like the cost, that and Virgina state law)

What Virginia state law do I have to worry about now?

Thanks for the Photos

SV1CEC said:
Front:

Rusty's 4.5" coils up front (5" at the moment).
Rusty's control arms, the lower being fixed, the upper being adjustable.
Rusty's adjustable track bar.
Rubicon Express drop-down brackets.
Bilstein shocks.

Rear:

Rusty's springs minus lower leaf (too hard when complete and too short for the application, at the moment at 5.5").
Rusty's +0.75" shackles.
No sway bar (of course).
Bilstein shocks.

Wheels/Tires: 15x7 with 4.5" BS, 32x11.5R15 BFG Mud Terrains

Rubbing: At the lower control arms at full lock, only after the RE drop brackets were installed.

Trim:

Front : front of fender to the level of the corner light. Also the lip under the flare at the front of the opening. Picture below:

omemu.jpg

Rear: just folded the lip around the fender opening.

Binding: Yes, at the axle end of the track bar as shown below:

10.jpg

Probably at the TRE at the pitman arm as well. Also I just found a rubbing mark on my steering stabilizer, probably the TRE at the middle of the drag link.

Hope this is useful.

------

John

Great Photos. It helps a lot!!!

Back