• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 buildup / shiftkit?

gzweber

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. I am currently in the process of stroking my 89 Wagoneer Limited XJ and I have decided that as long as I have my AW4 tranny out that I might as well beef it up or at least make it shift/work better. The only thing that I have been able to find is some replacement parts (filters, stock replacement valve bodies and such.) So I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find build up parts/shift kits for the AW4. If it matters I have a 242 t-case and my transmission has the early Power/comfort switch option. Oh by the way someone told me that I should buy a new torque converter even though there is nothing wrong with the one I have. Does anyone have any input on that also?
Thanks

Check out Level Ten - www.levelten.com. They're about the only outfit I've seen that has had aftermarket upgrades for the AW4 - and their prices reflect it. If anyone else knows of another outfit that does AW4 upgrades, I'd like to hear of it.

Generally, torque converters are replaced to change "stall speed" - where the torque converter locks up. Since the AW4 has a separate lockup circuit, there is no need to do that. Also, I've not heard of a torque converter for the Jeep AW4 going south - they're pretty solid. However, do check your flexplate well - they sometimes crack around the crank hub bolts...

If you are interested in artificially lowering your stall speed, you can put an override switch in for the TCC lockup solenoid - but it is something else to keep track of when you are driving. When the TCC is locked, it acts like the solid coupling you get from a manual transmission clutch, and you WILL stall your engine if you don't disengage it before you stop!

5-90

Back