• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bolt on LA kit

jeepme

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I really need long arms but have NO welding experience and dont really trust the welders around my neck of the woods. I have seen Rusty's kit but dont know how the quality would be and he doesnt sell the crossmember seperatly. So I was wondering if anybody knows if Tomkens bolt on crossmember for their long arm kit would work with RE long arms.

jeepme said:
I really need long arms but have NO welding experience and dont really trust the welders around my neck of the woods. I have seen Rusty's kit but dont know how the quality would be and he doesnt sell the crossmember seperatly. So I was wondering if anybody knows if Tomkens bolt on crossmember for their long arm kit would work with RE long arms.

i've never Not been able to buy anything from him one or two pieces @ a time...
have you ever asked him??

yep I called today and asked if he would sell the crossmember seperatly and he said "nope"

WELL.. wrong i am..

suggestion

get some specs from somebody w/ one that you like Rusty's, RE or whateva..

find a reliable place ie) a machine & shop have em build you one, its bound to come out cheaper & a machine shop would be more apt to build something sturdy for ya, than lets say an average Joe-bob welding shop..

good luck..

Its very unlikely any of the current RE arms would work with another kit.The current TJ arms are 36" long(about 4" longer than most)!

Are you just afraid of finding someone good to weld to the unibody and thats why you want a bolt on kit. if so I'm sure there is someone not to far that can help out. unles your good buddies with a good fab person or your good at fabricating your better off getting a kit even if it does reqiuer welding.

jeepme said:

Why do you need long arms?

I need long arms because at 6.5" with short arms the ride is gettin pretty rough. I guess I have the whole welding onto the unibody scare, so I figured bolt on would be better. I will check out welding shops a little more in depth and see what I come up with. i know RE drop brackets are an option but I just dont like the fact that they hang down 3 1/2" from the stock mounts. I figure at least with the long arms they move with the axle. I am sooooooo confused!!!!!

thanks

jeepme said:
I need long arms because at 6.5" with short arms the ride is gettin pretty rough. I guess I have the whole welding onto the unibody scare, so I figured bolt on would be better. I will check out welding shops a little more in depth and see what I come up with. i know RE drop brackets are an option but I just dont like the fact that they hang down 3 1/2" from the stock mounts. I figure at least with the long arms they move with the axle. I am sooooooo confused!!!!!

thanks

Jeff:

It's time for the saws-all and a little lowering, with those new 35" MT/R's you'll be WAY too tall!! :)

Clayton's crossmember welds to the part of the unibody where the front and rear sections of "frame" rail are nested together, so the metal there is double thickness. Any reasonably competant welder should be able to handle that for you. What you could do is find a shop that does decent work, and arrange for the guy to call Clayton so Clayton can explain to his what sticks and what amperage to use.

That info may already be in the kit instructions, BTW -- I've watched Clayton install the kits, but I've never read the instructions.

XJZ said:
Jeff:

It's time for the saws-all and a little lowering, with those new 35" MT/R's you'll be WAY too tall!! :)

Your just jealous Dave. You know I here garage crawlers do pretty well on 35s :firedevil

jeepme said:
Your just jealous Dave. You know I here garage crawlers do pretty well on 35s :firedevil

Well, I can't wait to see it on Tues.!!

We'll discuss the lowering process then! :) You and Larry both!!

XJZ said:
Well, I can't wait to see it on Tues.!!

We'll discuss the lowering process then! :) You and Larry both!!

Well I am getting the ramp out on tuesday ( day off ) to check clearances, Larry's comin over to check his too. So come on over if you can

jeepme said:
Well I am getting the ramp out on tuesday ( day off ) to check clearances, Larry's comin over to check his too. So come on over if you can

What time is Larry showing? I'll be there!

jeepme said:

thanks

Have you tried Skyjacker?... Maybe they sell the crossmember seperate... I HEARD that they are bolt on... Don't know personally....

XJZ said:
What time is Larry showing? I'll be there!

around 1pm. see ya there

Back