• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water leakage at driver's seat

Headache

NAXJA Forum User
Today I found out that I have a leakage in my 1991 Cherokee. At the driver's side, the floor mat is completely soaked starting from (about) the plastic inlay in the mat up to beneath the driver's seat.

I went to the dealer: they could find the cause. They said it wasn't a clogged airco or clogged rainwater outlet.

I also checked if the tube for the back screenwasher was leaking, but it wasn't.

Could the leakage have to do with they fact that some 10 days ago, I drove (with the left wheels) through an unexpected, deep and large puddle at approx 50 mph, causing a flood of water to go over the car and (probably) also splashing against the bottom of the car? (I do not drive the car very frequently, so I may not have noticed that the floor mat was wet).

If this is not a likely cause, what other suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance,
Headache (with enough water to swallow an aspirin)

Last edited:
You may also have a leak in your floor board due to rust (if you live in a rust-prone location).

I have a leak in my floorboard somewhere, but I only notice it when the roads get really sloppy in the winter or after driving in heavy rain for a while.

Just my .02.

Has it been raining in your area? My '91 had the same problem about 7 months ago. Drivers side completely wet, Then I noticed the headliner just above the rear view mirror was wet. I had a leaky windsheild seal, and only after a heavy down pour it would make it way inside.

I just pulled all my carpet and discovered a few rust holes. The next day we got 6"s of snow and my feet got soaked. Holy shit was that cold. I am going to make a new panel out of 1/8" steel. I would check this first.

That's what happens when you drive some hairy obstacles :D

On a more serious note, drive through a carwash and see if that gives you an idea, and also try to have someone hose you from the bottom up to simulate driving through puddles....

I had the same leak, mine came from the top of the door, I used a few layer of some double sided tape between the body and rubber moulding to push out the existing worn out moulding and everything has been dry since.

I even used some sealant on the air condition fan on the engine firewall but that wasn't the source of my leak.

I would try the door rubber moulding first cos its easy and cheap.

Kejtar said:
That's what happens when you drive some hairy obstacles :D

On a more serious note, drive through a carwash and see if that gives you an idea, and also try to have someone hose you from the bottom up to simulate driving through puddles....

A very common source of water infiltration, along w/ the above mentioned window & door seals, is the grommets on the firewall where wires / cables run thru to the dash. Water runs down firewall, and travels right along those wires and thru any loose grommets. A dab of RTV on those grommets at the firewall helps that situation. Zip ties on the cables with the extra end left attached & hanging downward will lead the water away from the grommet too. If someone has ran aftermarket wiring thru the firewall - 90% of em just punch out a plug or ream a grommet out & leave a hole for the water to get in.

Check & seal corners where firewall meets fender and hood hinge openings too.

Back