• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 quick upshift, no kickdown

strokedwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Trans acts like the cable is out of adjustment, but it isn't. This is an 88' 4.0 aw4, 242. It shifts to quickly through the gears and won't downshift under throttle. Anything else to check other than the control unit for the trans?Thanx for the help...just trying to help a buddy out.

strokedwoody said:
Trans acts like the cable is out of adjustment, but it isn't. This is an 88' 4.0 aw4, 242. It shifts to quickly through the gears and won't downshift under throttle. Anything else to check other than the control unit for the trans?Thanx for the help...just trying to help a buddy out.

Check the fuse. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse block.

Christopher said:
Check the fuse. I had the same problem and it turned out to be the 7.5 amp fuse in the fuse block.
fuse is fine......got power to control unit...this may be reaching...but does the nuetral saftey switch incorperate any of the shifting functions?

strokedwoody said:
fuse is fine......got power to control unit...this may be reaching...but does the nuetral saftey switch incorperate any of the shifting functions?
throttle position sensor, NSS and there's a speed sensor in the transmission itself. those are the inputs to the TCU.

sounds like a throttle position sensor issue to me.

Back