• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dip stick tube??

It's a slip fit with an O-ring at the connection. The lower section is part of the pan, and the upper section should pull out.

In the real world, after years and miles the O-ring gets hard and it can be very difficult to pull the upper part out. When I did the flex plate replacement last year I trashed mine and bought a new one. The dealer said that's their SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). They stocked the tubes because they can never get it apart without destroying it. The shop foreman told me to put Vaseline on the O-ring and that would help future disassembly.

The replacement tube was about $10 IIRC.

Yup, busted mine and bent the tube that is part of the pan slightly. I got a new tube for ~$11 and put antiseize on the o-ring. That should cure it.

Oops.

"Shortblock"?

You're talking about the engine dipstick tube, and my response was concerning the auto tranny dipstick tube. The one for the engine is a single piece. Don't even think about trying to save the old one. Buy a new one and press it in.

Back