• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-Gearing a c-8.25 29sp & d30 from 3.55 to..

JLane99XJ

NAXJA Forum User

will i need to change the carrier in either to be able to do this???

i've heard if you had stock 4.10s then w/ that same carrier you could do the swap but w/ 3.55s (on one of the axles either the d30 or the 8.25) i would haveta swap to a carrier built for oem 4.10 gear so i could run 4.56s, if that makes any sense..

any input please,
i'm trying to nail down the amount of $$ fundage for the next upgrade...

thanks..

Lane

If you have 3.55s now in your Dana 30, you will need a different carrier than what you currently have. Yes, a 4.10 carrier can be used with 4.56s.

You can reuse the 8.25 carrier with 4.56s.

You cant just "swap" out the gears. They have to be properly set up and require some special tools you cant just rent from Autozone. If pinion depth and back lash are off by just a few thousands of an inch, the least that can happen is you will have lots of gear noise, and worse case is you blow up the rear and have to start over with new gears. www.randysringandpinion.com has a good tech section about installing gears.

AARON

thanks Mr.SB..

that confirms & clearly defines what i need to know..

yeah... gear setup isn't somethin i plan to do myself, theres a guy that works in a general auto repair shop near to where i live that'll most of the drag racers use for they're gear work so i'll probly slap leather to get him to do it for me...

thanks again...

MrShoeBoy said:
If you have 3.55s now in your Dana 30, you will need a different carrier than what you currently have. Yes, a 4.10 carrier can be used with 4.56s.

AARON

hey by the way...

do you know an oem part # on the *right* (4.10) carrier for my d30???
or any aftermarket options???

anyone???

tia-
Lane

As for the correct part #, I am not sure. A brand new carrier is only like $60 or around there. The for sale forum should have something cheap on there.

AARON

JLane99XJ said:
hey by the way...

do you know an oem part # on the *right* (4.10) carrier for my d30???
or any aftermarket options???

anyone???

tia-
Lane
Aftermarket options would be full case lockers - Detroit, OX, ARB - or maybe an LS (Auburn?). I just got an open carrier fairly cheap and when I'm ready to be locked up front, I'll probably just put in an Aussie or something.
Oh yeah, check the Vendors' Forum.

Back