• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable pushrods....do I need them?

CRASH

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm about to order up my new cam from Isky, a 133125/26, and they offered me a full kit that includes lifters, springs, shims and retainers and adjustable pushrods.

The whole shebang will run a hair under $500. I can knock about $175 off of this if I don't go the adjustable pushrod route. The question is, do I need them? I'm taking .010" off of the block, and .010" of of the head, and the headgasket will be a .043" unit, which is .010" thinner than normal. So, a total difference of .030".

Is this enough of a difference to require new pushrods?

CRASH

Last edited:
I don't see why. When I first learned of adjustable pushrods, they were typically bought in pairs for fitment - you'd install the valvetrain on one cylinder, adjust the pushrods to get the lash you wanted/needed, then remove and measure them. Order according to adjusted length of test units.

Besides, even with jam nuts, I wouldn't trust something like that for something as critical as valve lash (but I'm widely regarded as a paranoid.) If you haven't had any head/deck milling, and the rockers are made to the lift of the cam (Isky is usually really good about that,) then I don't see a reason to need them.

5-90

Rocker stand shims - $12

You can check the pushrod/lifter travel (good info on Comp Cams website) and if your lifter travel is off you can use the rocker stand shims (030 and 060 I beleive) to get the proper travel. OR you can get any legnth non-adjustable pushrods (.050 increments) from Comp, Crane, probably ISKY also.

Back