• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission-area clunking

jkellner

NAXJA Forum User
Another question: My '96 XJ with a 5-speed has had a clunking sound coming from the transmission-tunnel area for some time now. It's particularly noticeable going over bumpy roads and when I shut off the engine. It sounds like it's coming from right under the shifter area, like part of the transmission is bouncing on a crossmember or something. I think there was a service bulletin put out by Chrysler on something like this, but I don't know if it's related. It's starting to annoy me and I hear it on the smallest of bumps and also if I have a chattery start off the line (as in bad clutch operation from me). Any ideas on what this is and what it costs to fix?

Bet your exhaust pipe is hitting your crossmember. In particular, check the hanger on the passenger side on the transmission mount.

Dont forget the tranny mount ,they go bad too !Get a pry bar in there,youll know what a bad what looks like if its bad,excessive up and down movement.

MACH90XJ said:
Dont forget the tranny mount ,they go bad too !Get a pry bar in there,youll know what a bad what looks like if its bad,excessive up and down movement.

A failed 5-speed mount caused a lot of ruckus under my MJ... Usually when shifting and especially taking off from a dead stop. To confirm, I got wifey to launch it one day while I laid on the pavement beside it... The Tranny/Tcase would raise up a couple inches and slam down when the load was released.

Being that it was a BA10-5 and those have unique & high-$$$ mounts, I just drilled a couple .375" holes (through both plates) & bolted it together. Butch but functional.

Back