• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 21sp to 23 spline

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
whats involved. someones got a 21 spline that was converted from 2x4 to 4x4 tranny but has 21 sp and I have 96XJ which I believe is 23 spline. Is it worth it? I found out this info on JU:
aw-4 21 spline
AX-5 21 spline
AX-15 23 spline
IIRC .. it was 92 or 93 when all the AW-4 became 23 spline as well. Still a different length input tho.

What do you all think? TIA Jeff CamoXJ
PS, I dunked my XJ in a pond so this is a just in case deal my tranny takes a dump.

So what are you saying LOL I can take my 23 spline and make it a 21 and use it? I dunked my XJ in a pond and this is a just in case mine takes a dump. Which is better .705 or.75? The 21 spline tranny is good and mine has water in it, I flushed it like crazy yesterday but I want a backup. TIA jeff CamoXJ

you can make your transfer case a 21 spline version, yes. the ratio difference is a matter of differential gearing and personal preference. it just means that your 4th gear RPMs will be a bit lower with the 21 spline tranny, if they are already bordering on too low, this will put it over the edge.

from http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

f9ca3506.jpg.orig.jpg

obviously, they both need to be 21 spline or both 23 spline.

you already have 23 spline parts so it would be chaeper and stronger to swap your 23 tranny output over to the 21 sp version transmission. plus you'd have more strength than the 21.

if you make everything 21 spline you need a new input gear for your 231 and then be out even more $$$$.

i'm not 100% sure the tranny output can be swapped, but i'm pretty sure. i'd definitely go the 23 spline route if it were mine.

matthew

swapping tranny outputs would probably be out of the question for the majority, since you would have to completely dismantle the ENITIRE aw-4 to get at it....

that much I know.....

I wish I had the info, but it might not even be "swappable" in the first place....

Beezil said:
swapping tranny outputs would probably be out of the question for the majority, since you would have to completely dismantle the ENITIRE aw-4 to get at it....

that much I know.....

I wish I had the info, but it might not even be "swappable" in the first place....

i know tearing apart the aw4 is definitely more difficult than tearing apart a 231, but if the person he's getting it from can change it from 2wd to 4wd they're definitely capeable of swapping the output shafts again.

weather he actually wants to do that again might be a different question.

its just something to consider IF you have the knowledge, time, and its actually "swapable" i'd definitely know for sure before i started.

matthew

he got it from someone that had it done at a shop and then went a different route. I dont have the knowhow to do this big of job nor the special tools. I guess I'll just have to see what happens with mine and go from there. Thanks guys. Jeff CamoXJ

giranger said:
he got it from someone that had it done at a shop and then went a different route. I dont have the knowhow to do this big of job nor the special tools. I guess I'll just have to see what happens with mine and go from there. Thanks guys. Jeff CamoXJ

if thats the case i understand you not wanting to tear it apart.

i know from first hand experience that its fairly simple splitting the case and removing the imput gear. it wouldn't be a big deal to swap the 23 spline input for a 21 spline version.

matthew

sarvermr said:
its just something to consider IF you have the knowledge, time, and its actually "swapable" i'd definitely know for sure before i started.

matthew

Isn't it just a matter of swapping out the adapter at the end of the tranny?

Never looked at a 2wd aw4 really.

To use a 21 spline AW4 in a 96 XJ you'll also need to change a few things on the transmission itself, your 96 has an electrical speedo so you need to install your 96 components on the 21 spline trans. Also need to install the 96's trans kickdown cable into the 21 spline.

Then you'll need to swap the 96 transfer to 21 spline...Beezil knows better than i that all transfers are not built alike...small differences thru the years can make a simple spline count swap turn ugly.

If it were me...i'd keep looking for a 23 spline AW4.

Oh..originally an AW4 built for a 2WD application has a longer output by ~7".

Thanks all, I'll just keep looking. The reason for wanting a spare is in case mine takes a dump since I dunked the XJ in a pond and the engine and tranny, rear axle, power steering, trasfer and York all had water in them. Flushed everything out real good and everything is working fine so far. Will flush again this weekend for the heck of it. Thanks again Jeff CamoXJ

Back