• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To Beadlock or Not???

ROCKWGN

NAXJA Forum User
Question: I have been contemplating installing Beadlocks on my 95XJ. I am not one of the lucky ones who get to go wheeling a lot lately due to the wife and two small children. My XJ is a daily driver, and I'm lucky (at this time) to get offroad a half dozen times a year. I read some threads about it being a bit*h to keep the tires from leaking, a hassle mouting and torqueing properly. Should I stay wth my steel rock crawlers because I do not believe in street locks or go the beadlock route. I could afford about $200.00 a rim.
Thanks,
Sean
Rock.Wgn
:cheers:

SPOBI Fore Wheeler.....

There was a beadlock recently featured in a mag that is DOT aproved. They even posted a picture of the DOT number. Now if I could remember who made it!

There have been huge debates over at PBB about DOT and beadlocks, finally a cash reward was offered to anyone that could show that they are illegal in any state. it goes unclaimed.

yes, beadlocks are more dangerous if you don't do the proper maintenence. if you keep your bolts tight, they are just as safe or safer than others. If the DOT issue is still a concern, you can get hummer wheels or some of the blingin ones made now ($$)

also, you could get the weld on beadlock kits for your current steel wheels, about $50 a wheel, and then your DOT mark would still be there :p

On the other hand I used to run bead locks with 33" bogers and often pulled the inner bead below 10 psi - I now run 38.5 SX's with no beadlocks and run anywhere from 3 to 5 psi and have yet to pull a bead - I do not see the point of the outer locks unless you are using a hummer style rim the locks both beads with an insert...

John Stazsak (Johns351c on the POR bbs) makes this style of rim and his work is very nice - prices are not too bad either - the only benefit of his stuff is that you can get them in 15, 16 , 17 and 20" rims - the hummers only come in 16.5" rims

HTH

Matt

DOT Beadlocks...

Here is another link to DOT Beadlocks...

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/new/rocklox/#

They look "very cool" but $500.00 smackers apiece... OUCH...

What about balancing them? Do they run pretty true on the highway?

Does anyone have a link with pictures for the the dual locks on the POR website???
Sean

Where can I get more info on the weld on beadlock kits? Thanks

mad maXJ said:
There have been huge debates over at PBB about DOT and beadlocks, finally a cash reward was offered to anyone that could show that they are illegal in any state. it goes unclaimed.

yes, beadlocks are more dangerous if you don't do the proper maintenence. if you keep your bolts tight, they are just as safe or safer than others. If the DOT issue is still a concern, you can get hummer wheels or some of the blingin ones made now ($$)

also, you could get the weld on beadlock kits for your current steel wheels, about $50 a wheel, and then your DOT mark would still be there :p

Do your homework and make your own decisions. You'll find most people who warn you away from beadlocks either don't have beadlocks or have had bad experiences with cheap beadlocks or weld-on kits. I ran allied beadlocks on my DD XJ with 34's and never had problems with the tires leaking down. The current owner reports no problems as well. Just make sure you keep the bolts torqued down. I checked mine about once every 2-3 weeks. Quality beadlocks are fine for DDs, just don't go the cheap route.

Here's a question - Why do you want beadlocks? Sounds like you don't really need them and they are at least 2x the cost of a regular steel rim.

And why don't you "believe" in street locks? Their da bling bling Baby!

Back