• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle or drivetrain upgrade....help me

gearwhine

NAXJA Forum User
ok, I've got two big things planned in my head, but not sure which to do first, and when 1 is done, the other won't be done for probably a year or so.

background: I have a dana 30, 297's, dana 44 rear, 4.56 gears. 33" AT's , np231 w/ AA SYE, tera low, ax-15.....ok that's enough

I don't plan on going bigger than 37's in quite some time....quite some time, but for now sticking with 33-35" range. I have fun with that size where I wheel, and I do not break often.

option 1: new front axle. Probably a HP44, but a 60 if I can find a HP one at a decent price.

option 2: (my choice so far) Klune-v (4:1) to an EB dana 20. (www.highimpact.net) I like this because I love the 4:1 I have now, but I need lower in a lot of spots...so I'll have all kinds of choices. I like to be challenged more...so I can throw it into 2wd low after it's twin sticked. Also, this won't require any DS mods since it's only 1" longer than a 231 with a SYE, and my rear DS is almost reaching it's limit...this will bring it back to normal. To me this will be almost bulletproof with smaller tires even with the klune V.

The worrying is if the axles (front mainly) will hold up to a klune V and 35's. The 44 doesn't have any larger u-joints than my 30...which is the only thing I've ever broken. I really think a 44 is a worthless upgrade unless you have warns and CTM's. I just keep changing my mind between the two on which I should do first, and I need some other thoughts. So give me some! Oh and thanks for listening to my useless banter..:) _nicko_

couple of options for the front...

4340 Chromolly shafts $500 with 760"s.
Super 30 kit with ARB.
this kit upgrades your shafts from 27 spline to 30 spline.
but the u-joint doesn't change I don't think.
CTM's or Ox joints or wait and there is another one coming out that will be as strong but cheaper.
the downside to CTM's and Ox's and the Yukon ones is that they are designed to last about 100 miles. so this would not be ideal without lockout hubs. and for the dana 30 that is a $900 kit.
stepping up to a dana 44 gives you lockout hubs and 30spline shafts... just add gears and a locker. then the trick u-joints will work great.

what about an atlas case?

Dibs on your 231 4 to 1 setup...

Get the kluneV (or atlas, which would be my choice) and wheel the pee outta the rig until you break the front axle then upgrade that to a 44 or a 60, whichever you find first.

Do yourself a favour and upgrade the axles. You will continually break the front with 37s and that low gearing from the drivetrain. I had 4.56 with a stock 242 t-case and had no fun wheeling my 38s because i broke almost every day.

If you want to go over 35s there is NO way around bigger axles. As you already stated the 44 upgrade is not worth the money. I have a 60 front (K30 low pinion, switched pumpkin to drivers side) with a 70 rear and 5.86 gears with 39.5 boggers and i need to switch to 4 low just in a few cases.

Don't limit youself to a 5.38 gearing with a high pinion 60, get a low pinion (cheaper) with king pin knuckles and maybe shave that pumpkin a bit. So you have more clearance than a high pinion 60 but more choices of gears to go as low as you want. This also takes the stress out of your t-case and driveshafts where the Klune-V would put it. With a low gearing all the torque is generated in the differential so the only parts you have to worry about are gears, locker, 35 spline shafts and the 5-332 u-joints :D

Back