• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Potential Diesel engine?

Interesting. Crappy fuel consumption for a diesel. Bentz rates three 315 cummins at 21 gph and three Yanmar's at 15 gph, not even comparable the three 454's burning 40 gph.
http://www.bentzboats.com/gasvsd.htm

The water cooled turbine would be a trick though. It's probably setup for pumping in cool water.

I think you should buy one and give it a try. Be prepared to spend some $$$$$$$$$$$. The last Yanmar I saw for a marine app was somewhere around $15K.

Just because you brought up boats and made me want to go play. Boating Idaho style (where Granite Creek dumps into the Snake River:
http://www.bentzboats.com/granite1.mov

That'll bolt right up to an AW4, won't it?

;)

The Yanmar is narrower—27" versus 31"—and weighs about the same—1,072 pounds versus 1,096.

:eek:

CRASH

I'm not a big fan of NW Jets. Bottoms too thin and it must be the alloy that makes them split when slight contact happens with a rock. :D There is a local guy that builds some nice boats (mild to $$$$$$) and only builds when asked. He built the little boat I have 17.5' consol (5' wide bottom). It's been the best handling small boat I've driven. I would really love to step up to about a 19-20' consol with a 6-6.5' bottom. A windshield and top would be nice in the winter, but there's nothing like the cool morning breeze at 30 mph when the temps hovering near zero. :)

If your serious, do some checking on the weight. Most of the marine deisels I have looked at still ran cast iron manifolds. They have to go anyway because they come up over the valve covers instead of pointing down (firewall issues). They are also water cooled. I bet at least 100 lbs could be dropped off there, you might have to have headers made though. As well as the water cooled PS pump and a few other things.

You would also need to check the bell housing pattern. Some marine motors that were made specifically for that purpose don't have any way to attach a transmission.

I might think of more later.

smokers

being from the mighty land of the $5 gallon of diesel, every manufacturer sending cars to england has a diesel in the lineup. jeeps is a 2.5L turbo unit. be nice to know the cost of getting one from a scrap yard there and shipping it over, as a gift of course, dont wanna pay too many taxes....
i test drove a cherokee with the diesel in it, and found it surprisingly peaky. i was running a 92 isuzu trooper at the time and it had a 3.5L turbo intercooled diesel in it. the jeep wasnt as torquey as the trooper, but was far more peaky when it came on the turbo.
now if you want a real smooth turbo diesel, dont bother with the boat motors, bmw make a beaut of a 3L turbo diesel, cant even tell its a diesel until the hoods up!!
having run land rovers with the l.r. diesel in them, dont bother, they have an expensive appetite for cyl heads.
now if you want ultimate power, my 2000 freightliner has a 585 hp and 1750lbs of torque, detroit diesel in it. i only get @7mpg, but i'm sure that would improve in a xj....... and it goes 10,000 miles between oil changes! may need heavier front springs though........lol

shizza-my-nizza said:
come on woody you know you want to drop a 444E or a DT466 under the hood. :roll:

What I really want is something in a four-seater tube frame, with a RamJet 502 BBC, T400, AtlasII, & Mog or D60 hybrid portal axles. :lickout:
NO light-duty Jeep Junk Allowed :shocked: But until I get adopted by some rich grandparents, that's on hold. I remain stuck with a mini-junkyard of 4.0 Renix orphans that mostly run OK.

How bout a nice Electro-Motive Division 16-710G3C? You can find the spec's here: EMD SD70MAC Just kidding. :laugh3:

Seriously though, Jeep's coming out with the diesel KJ. Would that be a potential option, I mean if it fits in the LIberty, I'd think it would be workable into an XJ?
I don't know the specifics, but wouldn't the trans and t-case be swapable too then?
Oh well, just though I'd throw that in.

Chris

Back