• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ, I want to remove as much as I can under the hood...

89TrailXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 89 XJ, got it used, there's tons of hoses etc not hooked up to anything under the hood. Its a trail rig so I want to pull off as much crap as I can. A/C included. So what all really needs to stay for it to run right? Thanks.

well get a FSM and starting tracing wires and put like yellow ductape or some other good marker over the wires that you have traced back to nothing.

any wire you take out make sure to cover where it went to with something like silicon or tape it up if it was connected to other wires. you dont' want to short out your electrical system. Yank the A/C condenser etc.. keep the Sanden pump...OBA ...I'm planning this simililary overhault o mine when good weather comes about. unfortunately with the renix system there are a lot more wires and BS you gotta work around.

CUxj88 said:
well get a FSM and starting tracing wires and put like yellow ductape or some other good marker over the wires that you have traced back to nothing.

any wire you take out make sure to cover where it went to with something like silicon or tape it up if it was connected to other wires. you dont' want to short out your electrical system. Yank the A/C condenser etc.. keep the Sanden pump...OBA ...I'm planning this simililary overhault o mine when good weather comes about. unfortunately with the renix system there are a lot more wires and BS you gotta work around.
I thought about OBA and doing an on-board welder. Just trying to decide if OBA would be best engine driven or just getting an electric compressor. Most of the crap I want to pull isn't electrical, but what looks to be smog stuff. Most isn't hooked up to anything though. I am working on getting a FSM.

If you're planning on having ANY sort of OBA, stick with the engine driven compressor. I used to have an electric compressor (Quick Air 2) and it took forever to just air up my tires. I would get 2 done in the time it took the guy in our group to air up his rig, and 3 others. I had a 5 gal. tank in my setup as well. If you already have a functioning compressor, why would you want to pull it and go electric?

Back