• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

changing flywheel

jeepxjguy2001

NAXJA Forum User
i have asked around and i have heard that this is not much fun... lots of stuff to do like removing driveshafts, starter, crossmember and all the bolts holding the transmission... and then having to have a special jack to hold the tranny up to slide it out... all in all about four hours or so.. anyone every changed one? how hard was it and how long did it take?

Uh, why would you just be changing the flywheel? Or have you broken out the center section on the flexplate?

Should be a 3-4 hour job or so. Exhaust, driveshafts and crossmember all have to be disconnected, and unbolt the starter, before you can start to work on pulling the bellhousing bolts. You don't NEED a trans jack, but it can/does make it a lot easier.

Don't forget a jackstand w/ a block of wood under the front of the oilpan.

Okay, I've gone back and looked at your other posts. "flexplate might be broken?" I'd have addressed this well before I even got inside the engine. You've checked firing order, replaced lower end bearings and the wrench still doesn't know what's knocking?

I'm going to assume you have an auto transmission. If so, you'll be replacing the flexplate and bolts. It's also possible that there are some loose bolts on the flexplate as well.

If you've got a stick, you'll be replacing the flywheel, bolts, clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. Do a full clutch replacement, as you'll only be spending on parts. You'll already have it disassembled down to the clutch anyway.

Nope........ it's not. You still have a shifter to mess with (forgot all about it initially) and you've probably got tranny cooler lines to futz around with.

I would SERIOUSLY recommend that you pick up an FSM, http://techauthority.daimlerchrysler.com.

jeepxjguy2001 said:
ohh i didnt even think of those either ... that sucks just another obstacle to deal with

Having done one of these, I'd guesstimate that a good shop with the right equipment and having done the job before might be able to do it in half a day. Working in my garage at home, with the help of a professional auto tech who used to work at a Jeep dealer, it took me several days to get everything apart and then put it all back together correctly.

Might be easier 2 just pull the motor, well it will be easier 2 get 2 with the motor pulled;then messing with taking out tranny. I just took out my engine because I threw a rod. It all started because I thought I had some sort of knocking comming from the bottom and I orginally thought it was the rod bearings. so I replaced them all. about 10 miles or so later threw a rod lol. ended up bieing flywheel bolts got loose and were smacking against the flexplate.

hopefully i wont have to pull the motor like you... lol i might wimp out and just let someone else do it hinthint someone that really knows what they are doing before i end up causing more damage then I really intended to do

I did it one night after work (i'm a service tech). With the right tools, tranny jack, and a lift, it took three hours. Keep in mind I had a 101 degree temp. It's a good thing I did that night because this is what my flex plate looked like:

attachment.php

is this a job for someone like me to do? since i have minus a lift, tranny jack at the moment, and the lack of experience of never doing this before? even though i have done some fun projects like changing connecting rod bearings, gears and axle shafts etc...

First check to make sure the flex plate to torque converter bolts are tight. This a common problem causing knocking. They are the four bolts towards the outer side of the flex plate and are accessible through the inspection cover at bottom of front side of bellhousing. Greg

Back