• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

column shifter for AW4 auto tranny?

BrettM

NAXJA Forum User
if I'm not mistaken, there was a column shifter available on some MJs and some police model XJs, are these for the AW4 tranny? Does anyone know specific models and/or years to find these on? Any major complications in swapping to one? perhaps someone out there has one they want to get rid of, I'll post an ad in the Wanted section.

thanks
brett

I have one in my 89 MJ, it's an AW4. I'm in the process of swapping the floor shift model from my XJ to the MJ. I'll have the thing available in a few weeks.

mad maXJ said:
if I'm not mistaken, there was a column shifter available on some MJs and some police model XJs, are these for the AW4 tranny? Does anyone know specific models and/or years to find these on? Any major complications in swapping to one? perhaps someone out there has one they want to get rid of, I'll post an ad in the Wanted section.

thanks
brett

I have a 93 XJ, with AW-4, and the column shift. Hope this helps!

mad maXJ said:
awesome! is it complicated? do you have to replace the whole column, or just a few parts? If you have a digital camera, that would be really cool if you could take a few pictures while you take it apart.

You need the whole column to get the shifter, turn sig and such. Also you'll need the cluster, that has your gear indicator on it (P,D,N,R). I've just removed the column from the XJ. I hope, but I'm not sure if it will plug right in. I'll take pictures when I do it.

mad maXJ said:
I have an MJ and the cab is pretty small so I want to free up as much room as possible.

Did you get yourself a girlfriend or something? Does she want to tuck right in next to you?

CRASH

Stick Shifts and Safety Belts by Cake, off the Fashion Nugget ablum of 1996

Stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,
Not way over in a bucket seat.
I need you to be here with me,
But when we're driving in my Malibu,
It's easy to get right next to you.
I say, "Baby, scoot over, please."
And then she's right there next to me.
I need you here with me,

Well a lot of good cars are Japanese.
But when we're driving far,
I need my baby,
I need my baby next to me.

Well, stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,

:D:D:D

mad maXJ said:
hmm, does the cluster have full guages not idiot lights, and is it compatible with an 88? I don't really feel like the gear indicator is neccesary, so I could do without. where do the cables and such run?
Idiot lights. I'm doing the reverse of you, I'm putting in the column, dash, seats (hate bench, no support) console and all from my 90 XJ to the 89 MJ. the cables and every thing run to the floor and over to the center console for shifting, not sure yet in the MJ.

mad maXJ said:
oh, and I guess i better ask now, is there any major downside to one? I have an MJ and the cab is pretty small so I want to free up as much room as possible.
I have column shift and bench seat in mine, 91 Pioneer. I have had three girls in there with me a couple different times. Was it comfortable? I thought so. ;) :D

Phil, that's nothing! When I was at Davis last year I once had 4 girls in the cab with me, with bucket seats and a 5 speed! Oh, and also the girl in the back hiding under the crossover toolbox, Made things real interesting when I got pulled over :eek: we were pulling some pranks on one of the frat houses right on Russel

that's topped only by the time I fit 19 people (no little kids, all at least 16) in my first car, 1987 Nissan Stanza sedan :D we even drove around the block, though I couldn't shift, see or steer, other people did that stuff and I just worked the pedals.

mad maXJ said:
anyone familiar with the Cake song "stickshifts and safety belts" ? great song...

Yes!!! That's one of the reasons I started looking for an american car... and because I wanted power everything. Well, I ended up with a tired XJ with power nothing, bucket seats, 4-cyl and a 4-speed manual stickshift.. !

.. but it's a lot better now.
:dunce:

Back