• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5w50weight oil for winter

matthew

NAXJA Forum User
Is 5w50wt. oil to thick for winter temps? I live in upstate NY,and the temps have been -0. I was using Mobil 1 10w30,but the Jeep has about 200k on it and I thought a heavier weight oil would be better. Thanks.

BajaCherokee92 said:
I run 20w50 during the winter, and 10w40 during the summer.

-Adam
Did you get it backwards?
Wouldn't you want to use thicker in the summer and thinner in the winter?

where in upstate NY do you live, I'm from watertown but go to school in potsdam -18 or so if real common here. i'd had no problem running just 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer occasionally 10w40. Just let your truck warm up nice and good before driving off. Mine doesn't have 200,000 on it but it's an 88 with original engine and it's really old

If you are talking about Syntec 5w-50 do it. Fantastic oil. My Uncle is an Aerospace Engineer (works on stuff that "doesn't exist" for the Gov't) and that's what he uses in his high altitude recon aircraft. (Pathfinder solar plane) It flows well in the cold and stands up to heat fantastic. I'd run it in my jeep but it doesn't get that cold and I can't afford that much $$$ every 6 weeks when I change my oil.

CUxj88 said:
where in upstate NY do you live, I'm from watertown but go to school in potsdam -18 or so if real common here. i'd had no problem running just 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer occasionally 10w40. Just let your truck warm up nice and good before driving off. Mine doesn't have 200,000 on it but it's an 88 with original engine and it's really old

5W30 all the way, all year round for me.

Southern Ontario can get pretty cold in the winter.

I was just thinking about this today as I was putting a quart of 5w30 in and it looked like syrup. One think I was wandering is if anyone makes block heaters for 4.0's? Where I live its been in single digits and below zero the last two weeks and its been taking the jeep a while to turn over.

Dean

Mopar makes a block heater

Mopar makes a block heater that replaces the front freeze plug.
But some auto parts places; maybe even JC Whitney - have a magnetic heater that you can just stick on the bottom of the oil pan - no installation required.

DDCxj said:
I was just thinking about this today as I was putting a quart of 5w30 in and it looked like syrup. One think I was wandering is if anyone makes block heaters for 4.0's? Where I live its been in single digits and below zero the last two weeks and its been taking the jeep a while to turn over.

Dean

I must be lucky my '91 has a factory block heater. :D

It hit –35 weekend before last (Anchorage, AK). I run synthetic 5w30 in my ’91 (95k miles) and haven’t had any problems. A block heater does wonders, if you are somewhere that you can plug in. Mine came with a factory one, but they make aftermarket ones that replace a freeze plug. The only major cold weather problem that I’ve had is cranking over. Batteries just don’t like the really cold stuff. Even the Optima batteries only make it a couple of years. One of these days I’ll get a dual battery set up :D BTW if you are messing around in the cold stuff don’t set your emergency brake because it will freeze and lock up. Ask me how I know :cry:

I run 5w-30 in the winter, 10W-30 in the spring/fall and 10w-40 in the heat of summer. For those 90 degree+ summer wheeling trips, I'll fill it with 20w-50 just for the trail...then go back to 10w-40.

edit - oh yeah, Synthetics all the way. I also run a Mobil1 M301 filter. It's larger than the stock filter...holds between 0.25 to 0.5 of a quart more oil.
thumbs.gif

Steve

Wiley Coyote said:
It hit –35 weekend before last (Anchorage, AK). I run synthetic 5w30 in my ’91 (95k miles) and haven’t had any problems. A block heater does wonders, if you are somewhere that you can plug in. Mine came with a factory one, but they make aftermarket ones that replace a freeze plug. The only major cold weather problem that I’ve had is cranking over. Batteries just don’t like the really cold stuff. Even the Optima batteries only make it a couple of years. One of these days I’ll get a dual battery set up :D BTW if you are messing around in the cold stuff don’t set your emergency brake because it will freeze and lock up. Ask me how I know :cry:

A buddy of mine swears by a "Battrey Blanket", he uses it in conjuction with his block heater and this way the battery does not loos power over night. It stays nice and toastie.

matthew said:
Is 5w50wt. oil to thick for winter temps? I live in upstate NY,and the temps have been -0. I was using Mobil 1 10w30,but the Jeep has about 200k on it and I thought a heavier weight oil would be better. Thanks.

I live in Northern NJ(mile from NY state). I run Castrol Syntec 5w50 all year long. I have 150K on the engine and it is running just fine.

Back