• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 tech

kelly klassen

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a 231 in the jeep I currently have, so I know very little about the 242 in the one I'm looking at.

I've heard the 242 debuted in 87, is this true or would the 87 I'm looking at have the 229? In which case all these questions would apply to it.

What do I look out for with a 242? What are the weak areas? Does it suffer from the same weak spot like the 231 mainshaft? I'm assuming an SYE is my first step.

What kind of differential does the 242 use? I know that the 229 uses a viscous coupler, but I don't think that the 242 is the same.

Are there variances in the years with spline count, shaft sizes, mounting pattern, etc? How does it compare with the 231? Can 231s be swapped in universally in place of 242s in xjs?

Was the 242 used exclusively with the xj or did other manufacturers use a 242 in any other vehicles? Are there other cases which are similar? The reason I ask is that I was originally going to do a 241/231 dual case setup untill I found this xj with a D44. Does the 242 use the same planetary assembly as the 231? Can the planetaries from a 241 be swapped in like with the 231? Any other cases have parts that could be interchangable?

How will a 242 hold up/perform with a D44 spool or locker in various ground conditions?

Should I just forget about it and find a 231 to swap in?

Thanks for all the help,
-kelly

kelly klassen said:
I've got a 231 in the jeep I currently have, so I know very little about the 242 in the one I'm looking at.

I've heard the 242 debuted in 87, is this true or would the 87 I'm looking at have the 229? In which case all these questions would apply to it.

The 87 will have the 242

What do I look out for with a 242? What are the weak areas? Does it suffer from the same weak spot like the 231 mainshaft? I'm assuming an SYE is my first step.

It has the same diameter shaft wherethe speedo gear cuts in, the mainshafts are almost identical

What kind of differential does the 242 use? I know that the 229 uses a viscous coupler, but I don't think that the 242 is the same.

the 242 just uses a planetary gear differential.

Are there variances in the years with spline count, shaft sizes, mounting pattern, etc? How does it compare with the 231? Can 231s be swapped in universally in place of 242s in xjs?

for any given year, the 242 and 231 are a bolt in/bolt out swap. there was a change in spline counts on the automatic somewtime between 89 and 91 (21 - 23 spline)

Was the 242 used exclusively with the xj or did other manufacturers use a 242 in any other vehicles?

The durango and the hummer use different versions of this case, as well as the liberty and I believe the ZJ and WJ also use it.

Are there other cases which are similar? The reason I ask is that I was originally going to do a 241/231 dual case setup untill I found this xj with a D44. Does the 242 use the same planetary assembly as the 231?

yes

Can the planetaries from a 241 be swapped in like with the 231?

yes

Any other cases have parts that could be interchangable?

the 242HD found in durangos will have a wider chain

How will a 242 hold up/perform with a D44 spool or locker in various ground conditions?

Haven't broken mine yet, and I beat it hard (33's 242, welded d44 rear)

if you want an HD output shaft/sye conversion. there is none available for the 242. the only sye for the 242 is a hack+tap type setup.

Thanks for all the help,
-kelly

"if you want an HD output shaft/sye conversion. there is none available for the 242. the only sye for the 242 is a hack+tap type setup."

Nice post Cheapie, except for the last part....

Tom Wood offers a replacement 242 shaft/SYE in kit form.....

However, I don't have information regarding a HD version.....

I've installed a few of these things. nice kit, discount to naxja members to boot!

Tom's is still just a hack and tap kinda thing.

Tom just takes a stock 242 mainshaft, hacks it and cuts threads on the end of it

so... I wasn't completely wrong :p

Yeah, I know whatchoo mean, but "hack and tap" is commonly known as a DIY thing...

and I'd hardly call Tom's work "hack". (I know you weren't)

his are cut on a precision lathe, drilled and tapped on the TRUE center.

Believe me, there's a difference!

And here's another huge difference......try getting the same "emergancy" customer service on your "hack and tap" when it fails!

I wish Bones wouold post more often, cause he'd tell you how when he/we broke his TW SYE 242 mainshaft on Double Whammey and were stranded, 4Xshaft's Troy answered his cell phone during an elk hunting outing, went into the shop and handed Xjeeper (who was providing the parts delivery services) all the parts we would need to get fixed up, no questions, and the transaction went through ON THE HONOR SYSTEM. We had the parts in our hands next day. Try THAT with a hack and tap!

hack and tap or Tom Wood's kit? YOU CAN'T COMPARE THE TWO

So basically I can go for the TW or the RE. Anyone else make an SYE?
Is the chain from an NV242HD swap right in(with appropriate gears, I assume)? Do you know if this case uses more than the 3 planetaries that the xj 242 uses? Also would this case have a beefier main shaft such as the 231HD uses? If it does, it would make a perfect donor case for the project.
Thanks for all the help.
-kelly

the 242AMG (used in the hummer) has all the uber beefy parts parts that you want, but good luck finding it for less than $4000 (I looked into it about a year ago)

the 242HD as far as I know only has the wider chain, which, IMHO isn't really worth screwing with. the output shaft may be bigger but...

it's still just an cast aluminum transfer case. when you can break the tailhousing without killing the shaft in the process, it's pointless to throw money at it.

SYE it and wheel it... if it breaks, get a better case (and the 231 is the wrong answer ;) )

Beezil said:
Yeah, I know whatchoo mean, but "hack and tap" is commonly known as a DIY thing...

and I'd hardly call Tom's work "hack". (I know you weren't)

his are cut on a precision lathe, drilled and tapped on the TRUE center.

Believe me, there's a difference!

And here's another huge difference......try getting the same "emergancy" customer service on your "hack and tap" when it fails!

I wish Bones wouold post more often, cause he'd tell you how when he/we broke his TW SYE 242 mainshaft on Double Whammey and were stranded, 4Xshaft's Troy answered his cell phone during an elk hunting outing, went into the shop and handed Xjeeper (who was providing the parts delivery services) all the parts we would need to get fixed up, no questions, and the transaction went through ON THE HONOR SYSTEM. We had the parts in our hands next day. Try THAT with a hack and tap!

hack and tap or Tom Wood's kit? YOU CAN'T COMPARE THE TWO

Ironically enough, that story went through my head when I posted about there being no ND SYE made for the 242.

Gotta give 4xshaft props for that...

but there isn't much of a strength advantage between the two. Bones' shaft broke at the speedo gear, right? (i wasn't there... I just read it on the internet ;) )

So at that point what would I want to be looking at? 203/205 combo? Atlas II? I think a Terra-Low would be putting me in the same boat: strong guts/same weak case. How about the KluneV? (which is basically what I'm intending to sorta replicate), I guess that would put me in square one. So what's the general oppinion?
Speaking of that tailhousing: What about building a steel one with a support bearing and a seal and an SYE? Or am I way off in left field?
Thanks,
-kelly

if you have the means to do it, go for it...

but it's kinda like upgrading a dana 30.

polishing a turd.

the 231/242 are good for you average wheeler runnin stock low range, no doublers/crawler boxes and 35" or smaller tires...

you get to the point where you NEED more than that, and you really NEED something beefier... many people do get by with an HD 231 and all that junk, but piece of mind doesn't cost much extra initially, but it costs much less in the long run ;)

yeah, that's where it broke alright......where they all seem to break.

another weak point in the 231/242 is the 3 gear planetary.....

the Hummer 242 and the D-series (dodge) usea 6 gear planetary....

I have a 242 and a welded d44 I beat it hard! with 220,000 on the odo. I had the chain fail (serious neglect) I kept driving it anyway (more serious neglect) While I was about 250 miles from home the chain came through the side of the case. I kept driving with a soft ball sized hole in the case (even more serious neglect) I drove it for about 1000 miles more like this and it only failed after it rained.

my advise, change the chain and save your money. Buy an extra case just in case ;) The main falure is due to impact on the trail, so get a good skid. Like mentioned earlier they are made out of aluminum.

Can't believe it lasted that long! I guess that speaks well of the 242. Anyone know what the mounting pattern for a Dodge 242HD is? Modifiable?

The only 'weakness' in the 242 is the chain, it's slightly smaller. However I've never seen any numbers, and I really don't belive it :) Yes, it will hold up, I havn't broken mine yet, with 44 and 31s, plus I'm 18 so I drive like hell.

And you're right, it's not a viscous coupler, it's just a regular differential. I think you should go for it, since you already have it. Parts are getting easier and easier to find.

Sounds like you're gonna have an interesting setup!

Slip Kid said:
The only 'weakness' in the 242 is the chain, it's slightly smaller. However I've never seen any numbers, and I really don't belive it :) Yes, it will hold up, I havn't broken mine yet, with 44 and 31s, plus I'm 18 so I drive like hell.

Slightly smaller than what?

the 242 and 231's chains are the same width, the one in the 242 is five links longer, but other than that, both cases have the same weaknesses, cast aluminum and the stock mainshaft @ the speedo gear.

I've beaten mine with a D44 and 33's and I've broken the extension housing, but that's it.

and my case has 314K miles on it ;)

very old thread, but it has some interesting info in it. i get flamed for resurrecting these, but at least i'm using the search feature. this way the info stays together!

i was wondering, because i have a 242 that i am going to swap in, about the interchangability of parts. the teralow kits are available for 231s, and since the 242 also uses a similar planetary set they will swap in apparently. tera's site says to contact them when planning to do this, of course it is night time and i always feel weird about calling a company when i can't even afford the product right now. i am looking to see if anyone on naxja has done this already. i don't believe i've seen a 242j with 4:1 yet.

also, the 242HD was used in durangos also? i figured it was only found in pickups. they both use 5.2s and 5.9s (until recently i mean), so i guess they need it. what all does that mean to me? if i were to later on locate a 242 out of a pickup or a durango, what would i gain? what i have read so far is: a wider chain and stronger output shaft. my case already has a TW SYE, so unfortunately i would have to have the yoke set up on the new case. there is a 6 gear planetary in the HDs too if i understand the previous posts correctly. that would be the same as the teralow kit though, without the low part. does the hummer case offer anything additionally that the durango case doesn't? sounds like the price is a bit prohibative. of course someone on pirate probably has one, i see hubs on there sometimes! :)

the case i have is probably fine, i don't think my xj will ever use anything beyond 33s, i just want all of my options clear.

thanks for any feedback!
mike

PapaPump said:
i was wondering, because i have a 242 that i am going to swap in, about the interchangability of parts. the teralow kits are available for 231s, and since the 242 also uses a similar planetary set they will swap in apparently. tera's site says to contact them when planning to do this, of course it is night time and i always feel weird about calling a company when i can't even afford the product right now. i am looking to see if anyone on naxja has done this already. i don't believe i've seen a 242j with 4:1 yet.

I know two guys personally who have done it. Tera required them to send in the front halves of their cases so they could be machined. I don't know the exact details, but that was necessary for the installation. 5 years later they're both doing just fine drivinga mildly built 4.0L w/ 44/60, and 4.7L stroker w/ 60/60 combos...both with 37" tires. :)

Back