• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buskwacker Flares and 31x10.5 BFG's

cjgasper

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of installing Buskwacker flares and and a Budget Boost on my 98 XJ. I plan on running 31x10.5 BFG all-terrains. Has anybody done this or what do you think. I'm planning on going this route instead of a 3" lift so I can avoid having to fix the driveline vibrations that usually arise from lifts larger than 2" on the newer XJ's. Thanks

cjgasper said:
I'm thinking of installing Buskwacker flares and and a Budget Boost on my 98 XJ. I plan on running 31x10.5 BFG all-terrains. Has anybody done this or what do you think. I'm planning on going this route instead of a 3" lift so I can avoid having to fix the driveline vibrations that usually arise from lifts larger than 2" on the newer XJ's. Thanks

Those flares are gonna look awfully huge with 31" tires

Stock rims? If so the flares are really going to stick out.
both-xjs.jpg

I think mine looks funny with stock rims, 35x12.50s and the Bushwackers! I took the flares off and sold them.

If you have wheels with some decent offset the tire will stick out more, but STILL...

Save your $$ and keep your stock flares, IMHO

I had BFG 33"x10.5 tires with the BW flares and the tires looked tiny. So much so that it prompted me to purchase larger tires, 35" ...which in turn brought on a whole mess of mods that I still have not finished up :( It never ends

XJguy

doesn't appear that you need much lift with those. i always knew i wanted BWs, but had no idea they were that big. i also was thinking i would use them to clear 31s with no lift. i think maybe i'll be needing bigger tires to fill them out. what about a 3" lift and 33"? does anyone think this is plausable plan? i only want to lift very mildy. super suspension travel is not my #1 goal, but i don't want the tires as bumpstops. I want about as much travel as the stock disconnected suspension provides. I don't usually ask many questions in the tire and wheel catagory, because they've seemingly all been asked and answered. in this case though, looking at big offroad's jeep, i just had to delve deeper.

Interesting you should ask that. Last night did some real minor trimming and was able to fit 31x10.5x15's (used-only have about 1/4 tread left) on a 2" BB (93 xj) Trimmed the lower flare on bottom front of front wheel flares and a little metal off the support bar that holds the lower fender lip to the body. Very, Very Simple. Tested it out on a snow bank, no rub. I am sure If I disconnect the front sway bar and get some flex it will rub, but it is fine for the street.

IMG_0706.jpg

IMG_0707.jpg

it's going to look pretty funny, i have 33x12.5's and the BW make them look very small.:laugh3:

truckin054.jpg

Picture010.jpg

You probably will not have vibes with a 3" lift... if you go higher than that you might need a SYE, but some people don't even need that.

I've had 3" 31X1050 on mine for about 1.5 years, no vibes or any problems.

yeah i'd say you'd be "ok" at 3" and no vibes. just get some 4* shims. on the other hand, you could get that BB for now... enjoy it, then since we all suffer from inchitis eventually, later you can add 4" coils, a SYE, and slap on some 35's.

brandon

brandon

Lots of the old-timer, expert types will say with any lift much over 2" on an XJ you need an SYE, any year model XJ.

Not for the comfort of vibration elimination, but for the life of the t-case/drivetrain. I tend to agree based on my limited knowledge. But, opinions are like XJs, everyone here has one. :D

mack: what kind of lift are you running? you are right that the tires are still dwarfed by the BWs. I looks like 33x14.50 would fit, even with mild lift. it seems too many people are afraid to trim. ~$350 and 33s sounds like a deal compared to a 5.5" lift. especially when compared to skyjacker's rip-off 6". Of course a whole new suspension would net more flex, but like I said, that is a secondary goal for me. I know the RockReady 8" suspension can fit 35s with trimming, as seen in a Magazine article, but I never wanted to perch myself that high. I thinks mack's truck would look better being a little lower, just a personal preference. I am sitting on only 235s, stock suspension. The travel is plenty for me, I only want it a little higher for now, to fit 325/60R15s. I am flareless right now, but I don't think that will work with nearly 13" wide tires. Too bad they only make the "extend a fender" versions for 4-doors.

i'm right at 6" with RE 5.5 and ASCO's, but it's ok, the 35's are comming!:laugh3:
PapaPump said:
mack: what kind of lift are you running? you are right that the tires are still dwarfed by the BWs. I looks like 33x14.50 would fit, even with mild lift. it seems too many people are afraid to trim. ~$350 and 33s sounds like a deal compared to a 5.5" lift. especially when compared to skyjacker's rip-off 6". Of course a whole new suspension would net more flex, but like I said, that is a secondary goal for me. I know the RockReady 8" suspension can fit 35s with trimming, as seen in a Magazine article, but I never wanted to perch myself that high. I thinks mack's truck would look better being a little lower, just a personal preference. I am sitting on only 235s, stock suspension. The travel is plenty for me, I only want it a little higher for now, to fit 325/60R15s. I am flareless right now, but I don't think that will work with nearly 13" wide tires. Too bad they only make the "extend a fender" versions for 4-doors.

Back