• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Rails.......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
I started building them last night. Did not get much done but at least they are started! Any thoughts?:)

Nice tools!!!

rock rails

I thought about buying a set from Rocky Road (step/rock rail), but 2" isn't enough to put your foot on and balance. I will probably weld-up a pair out of "C" channel and diamond plate :)
Show 'em how it;s done! ;)

BLUTO :)

They look good!! If you are mounting them to the frame, note that the frame steps down in the front slightly (about an inch) this is a problem I ran into when I built mine. They didn't mount level with the pinch weld. I finished mine but they are not mounted yet (sorry, no pix)

Yea, they are going to mount to the frame. However, I got some 2" angle iron to do it with. To me the 2" does not go high enough on the frame rail so now I am rethinking my idea with 4" instead! Any thoughts guys?

Im using 2" angle for mine and running bolts in the side and the bottom. Plus im also welding on tabs to mount to the pinch for extra strength.

What kind of bolts? Self taping or Nuts and bolts? Pictures?

Jeff about them bolts?

I just got done with my rock rails last week. I ended up using 2x4 inch channel and tapped and screwer it directly to the pinch weld. And then used 2 inch angle for support to the frame. It tunerned out pretty good. I was planning to bolt the angle to the frame but the angles were impossable to drill so welding was my only option. I fugured with it bolted to the pinch weld and welded to the frame we were good to go.

Ghost said:
I started building them last night. Did not get much done but at least they are started! Any thoughts?:)

Its 2X4 box, what wall?

you said 2in angle to the frame?
How thick of angle?

I see angle being capable of hold up your slider but I can see the angle bending getting hit by a rock, or would be easier to get hung up on then a full 2x2 box of the same thiskness.

Id use some more box tube, 2x2 or even 2x4 then put a larger plate of equal wall thickness on the end of the arm and weld or bolt it to the frame.

The more surface area to the "frame" the better.

ok the rails are 2x4 3/16" box, the piece above that is 1x1 3/16" which will attatch to the pinch seam. The mounts to the frame are 4x4 angle that is 1/4" and 6" long. There are three of them. and the runners are 1.5 x 1.5 3/16"! I know these are probalby over kill but I really like the desighn and the idea. I'll hopefully get them all together this week or weekend. Yall can chew them apart then! I am working on the details of a roof rack too! the main beams are 1.5" 3/16" where the stock roof rack mounted!

Self tappers for now but if I snap em off im gonna use grade-8 bolts

Update.....

Got Some time in the shop last night and did this.... Man are they goign to be heavy!

One more!

Can I put two pictures on the same post? Hmmmm.

Lookin good! I fab'd up a set similar to the Rockyroad step rails last year. They don't stick out quite enough to be a good step, but the way they mount the protrction is awesome. I used 7/16 self-tapping in the unibody mounts and 3/8 through the pinch seam. They have proven to be very strong, can support the rig on a high-lift, and because I bolted and didn't weld I can have them off in 10 min to repaint or whatever. Can't wait to see them finished!

I am going to put one more frame mount point in the middle so that when I use a High lift it will not bow!

JEEZUS, that's some stout shiat. I don't think you have to worry about it bowing w/ the hi-lift. I thought I went overkill, but alas, I was wrong. Just about finished mine today(sorry, no pics yet). Pretty much a copy of the rockyroad step rails, except the legs are sleeved into the main tube. Hope to get 'em painted and mounted by Friday. Peace

Ary

I got rails fabbed by a guy local to me, and they mount to hte frame in 4 spots which two bolts for each mount and then the pinch seem has a small angle iron that gets mounted using about 8 smaller bolts.

The rails are IIRC 3/16" and they don't bow when I highlift on them :) :) ALso they are suprisingly not heavy...

Kejtar

Back