• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Non-HD SYE

morenmoretoys

NAXJA Forum User
its finaly time for a SYE and new driveshaft, tom woods is looking like the best bet now, as i understand anything that isnt HD is the same as a Hack n Tap. Tom Woods kit seems like the cheapest setup going for $400 with the driveline, and i know he makes good drivelines.
Is there any other brands i should be looking at in the $400-$500 range including a driveline?
Has anyone Broken a Tom Woods SYE?

thanks.
Jeff

Get the HD, it's only $100 more. I didn't when I got mine, then later I upgraded to the HD when I put in a D60. If I'd not worried about the extra hunsky I would have saved money in the long run.

Many have broken a stock t-case mainshaft, but you have to be gettin' on it or bouncing good.

If you have the 242 then I believe that's the only SYE option. I have the 242 and i'm gonna do a Hack n tap and CV DS from RE. Should get me by till I go full width and Atlas II.

Goatman said:
Get the HD, it's only $100 more.

i'm afraid you're right, even though i've never broken the STOCK output shaft and driveline, at 8" on 36s, i am starting to break things i wasnt planning on breaking, like dana 44 rear shafts.

so, where is the HD SYE and DS cheapest? i think high angle has a pretty good price at $489, http://highangledriveline.com/231_short_shaft_kit.htm but i'd have to pay tax on it. its $550 from Tom Woods. who else is selling them for good prices?

Jeff

I've been thinking of this one too. I know RE has a hack and tap that's not too expensive, less than $200. W/the shaft it's anywhere from $489-$500 or so. For not too much more you can go the Tom Woods route, so I'm thinking I may do that. Stronger parts, add I'd feel more secure about them when I'm wheeling. Everyone I've talked to says HD, and the work isn't too hard. I have a friend who did his on a TJ (with the 242 case) in about three hours in his garage.

The kit from High angle is not the strongest one out there.

the best kit and easiest to install is From advanced adapters.
for driveshafts I recomend Six states. get the premium shaft and not the standard.
the standard shaft has 3" of travel while the premium shaft has about 4.5" of travel.
I installed the Currie kit which is the same as the high angle kit an I was not very impressed with it.
of course I am a vendor for both advanced adapters and six states so I may be a little biased. but I can install the AA kit in 2 hours.

Back