• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid Question Re Shocks

Barbiejeep

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving home today and I heard a clunk. It seems the clunk was my rear driver side shock breaking off. When i got home and looked under my Cherokee there was my shock hanging where it shouldn't be- with only the bottom attached to the car.

My Question is: How safe is it to drive about 100miles going highway speeds. I was planning on getting a spare car this weekend (seems timely enough) and need to know if it's okay to make the drive. I woudl of course remove hte shock the rest of the way before leaving on my adventure.

Thanks

I drove for 6months with only 3 shocks and never realized it I just thought it was a bouncy ride.

The shocks dampen your bounce when hitting a bump or dip in the road. Their job is to stop the bouncing and keep your tires on the road and not airborne. Hit a pot hole and your tire could bounce. It also limits your axle drop (jack it up by the frame and lower your axle it stops at a certain point because of the shocks. Remove the shocks and it will droop further. It's not recommended to drive like that because of the loss of it's job on that wheel. (Loss of traction), but will not hurt as long as vehicle control is maintained. Keep the shock tied up if you aren't removing it (preferably to one of those holes in the frame and not the driveshaft or other moving part.)

ya somewhere it wont move around so it doesn't get smashed or smashes other things like brake lines or something. Or grad hold of it and rip it off really hard thats the best way!.

at least twist it sideways so it is parrallel with the ground along the axle.. i bet if you pull into a midas or some mech shop they will yank it off for you for a few $$.. it should be fine to drive as long as you are more careful..

mike

Back