• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name that breakage.

csudman said:
Shouldn't be to hard to figure out what it is. Lets see if you can guess the brand. I was turning around in a driveway when I broke. Good thing.

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/152202/0.jpg

The picture thing isnt workin for me. Somebody post the pic link for me please.

Looks like maybe Rusty's?

0.jpg

I'd have to argue the poly comment. This is a pretty textbook example of metal fatigue from too much heat being applied to the tubing used to house the poly. I think this is common on the Rockkrawler stuff.

When you use two different thickness materials to make control arm ends it's easy to over heat the thinner material trying to burn a good weld into the heavier material.

In essence, just another manufacturer's BAD WELD.

LOL, awesome CJ; atleast you didn't break that on the trail last month. That's one tool I didn't have - a welder.

BTW, where's my hammer? :looser:

I dont know if anyones noticed that rk's on jeeps unlimited now. I wonder what they'll fo to warenty this. They claim to have a lifetime warrenty. I def. dont want to replace it w/ the same thing. I think for a while theu were doing the same setup w/ heims on each end. That seems to make more sence to me.

vintagespeed said:
I'd have to argue the poly comment. This is a pretty textbook example of metal fatigue from too much heat being applied to the tubing used to house the poly. I think this is common on the Rockkrawler stuff.

When you use two different thickness materials to make control arm ends it's easy to over heat the thinner material trying to burn a good weld into the heavier material.

In essence, just another manufacturer's BAD WELD.

I have to agree with Handlebars..........bad weld or not, Superflex joints are my friend!

Aloha365 said:
No guess, but thank god I have the Skyjacker double flex with heim joints. I don't think I will see to much of this anytime soon.

You'll most likely want to replace the heims with the new Skyjacker ends. The heims wear out quickly & will make you wish you had poly bushings.

I run JJs on all my suspension pieces & both ends of my TB, I agree it's the only way to fly.

But a bad weld is a bad weld, when they crack directly around the outside of the bead as this one did, there's no question about it. The manufacturer needs to take it back & replace it, tell him he should be glad it wasn't a fatal accident causing bad weld. These guys need to learn how to burn metal before throwing together lift kits & selling them to other people. That's called negligence, try a search on cRusty's for a definition of negligence.

Right, bad weld, seen too much of those.

He told me to send it back, but I couldn't wait for it. I told him I was going to just get it welded locally and he said If I wanted to send it back later I could and he would replace it no questions asked. I have had good customer service so far with rusty.

Rock Krawler Response

csudman said:
Did rusty not replace them for you?

Craig

We will make sure you get taken care of. According to our records here all thin walled tubing control arms and track bars were replaced at no cost by the company in the fall of 2002, but the early records of the company that we got have on file are not that great. Sorry for the past problems. We assure you they will not happen again. With the Gen II setup it is impossible to do that.

If there are any original past customers that have the old thin walled tubing control arms please call Rock Krawler so you can be taken care of. According to our records there should not be any.

Rock Krawler

Rock Krawler said:
Craig

We will make sure you get taken care of. According to our records here all thin walled tubing control arms and track bars were replaced at no cost by the company in the fall of 2002, but the early records of the company that we got have on file are not that great. Sorry for the past problems. We assure you they will not happen again. With the Gen II setup it is impossible to do that.

If there are any original past customers that have the old thin walled tubing control arms please call Rock Krawler so you can be taken care of. According to our records there should not be any.

Rock Krawler

Honest statements like this one and standing behind your product will gain you alot of credibility (and customers) around here. GLAD TO HEAR IT.

-jb

Back