• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Going from 2wd to 4wd

MudslinginXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I currently own a 92 2wd auto. 4.0l H.O. and have a parts jeep to switch it over to a 4wd. I was just wondering if any of you could give me some pointers, tips, anything to get me started on this conversion. I believe i will need the tranny, t-case, both axles, and vacum hoses that go to the transfer case. Is there anything else i would need or is that about it? I'm sure i'll have more questions later on but as of right now thats about it.

The swap is pretty straight forward. I did it last Nov. or so with no suprises, and without an impact wrench. The only thing I did that made it signifigantly easier was to soak each bolt/nut in liquid wrench every night for about a week befor the swap. The two bolts that gave me the most problems were the torx bolts on the upper control arms. Also remenber to get a reverse torx socket for the top two tranny to engine bolts.

Chris

I just finnished it on my 94 I used a 90 donor. everything went smooth and was a straight bolt up. since I used a 90 I had to change the speedo gear and I didnt have to wory about vacume lines since my front axle was a non disco. but you will have to leinghten the speedo harnes about six inches or it will be streatched to tight.

the tail shafts on the 2wd trans is longer so you do have to use the 4wd trans so just leave it mated to the transfer case and remove them together. a little hevier but easier. when you go to mount the trans shifter and linkage it is verry easy you have to remove the cover plate bolted to the hump and some ruber plugs for the linkage bolts to go through.

after conecting the wire harness and putting light bulbs in the dash the full time and part time lights even work. verry simple and straight forward it took me about 2 days. good luck

i am going to be looking for an MJ for this conversion next summer... you won't NEED to swap the rear axle UNLESS the gears are different, or it is a stronger unit.... i would swap the 2wd stuff back into the donor and sell it for a few $ to offset your cost... good luck and let us know how it goes..
mike

Ok. Thanks guys. I planned to swap the 2wd stuff back into the donor so it can still at least be moved around.

TKM thanks for the tips and stuff. You said it took you about 2 days? Was that with just you working or did you have some help? Just wondering because my dad and my uncle are going to help me with this conversion. About the speedo, what exactly did you have to do for everything to work?

I'm sure i'll think of some more questions later on especially when i start the conversion. Anyways..i'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again

Just thought of a kind of stupid question but just wanted to get your opinion. I dont have that much money to get a 3" or higher lift so i saw the Daystar 1" shackles and 1 3/4" coil spacers and was planning on using that as a little lift and get the bushwaker cut out fender flares. Should i do that or save up and spend some money on a 3"? Also if i did go with the Daystar lift it would probably be best to put it on while doing the 4wd conversion correct?

Hope you guys don't mind me butting in, but I'm working on this conversion as well for my '89 MJ. I don't have a donor vehicle but I'm buying the parts I need from fellow jeepers. My question is: Do you have to change the transmission or can you keep it and change the output shafts? I have an automatic with 4L inline 6. I think it's the AW4 or A340.

You could change the output shaft but it would require a complete rebuild of the transmission. You also need to replace the tailstock on the 2WD transmission with a transfer case adapter and the parts are not easy to come by. With the number of 4WD AW4's that can be had for a couple of hundred dollars it's by far easiest just to change the whole unit.

MudslinginXJ said:
Ok. Thanks guys. I planned to swap the 2wd stuff back into the donor so it can still at least be moved around.

TKM thanks for the tips and stuff. You said it took you about 2 days? Was that with just you working or did you have some help? Just wondering because my dad and my uncle are going to help me with this conversion. About the speedo, what exactly did you have to do for everything to work?

I'm sure i'll think of some more questions later on especially when i start the conversion. Anyways..i'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again

it took two days by myself with a floor jack and a creeper. depending on what years you are working with the 90 that I pulled my parts from had a cable drive speedo so I just swaped out the sending unit mounted in the tail shaft with the electronic one out of my 2wd the harnes that goes to it I think was a three or four wire that has a pig tail that I added about six inches with environmental splices so it would reach. I did remove the TV cable from the trans. and used the one that was with the vehicle. it is verry easy to rig once done, you just hold the throttle open and press in the piece in the center where it mounts to the throtle body and move it to the end then let it lock in place. if you have an fsm or haynes it will explain it better.

90 and earlier were mechanical speedo and 91-on where electric. I ended up with a 90 limited so I got non disconect with anti locks ( better u joints) the trans. are listed as not compatible but mine has worked fine so fare. shifts and feals the same only diff, that I noticed was the speedo drive.

Good luck.
Tony

For some reason im thinking the donor jeep is an 89. And i do have a Haynes manual...i just bought one the other day to figure out where the radiator coolant sensor is supposed to be plugged in. Thanks again.

One other question. When i did this conversion i was going to put 1" shackles and 1 3/4" coil spacers for a little lift and i was going to put some bushwackers on it. After thinking a little bit i was wondering if i should just go with a Rusty's 3" lift w/ spring packs since its around the same price. Do you think i should go with the Rusty's 3" lift?

hi guys, how easy is it to do mine? mine is a 4.0L 2000 4dr XJ, anyone live near me that can help me do a swap? Do I need a donor/parts vehicle approximately similar to mine? I live in Orlando. thanks!

i would do the lift while it is apart... no need in pulling it apart twice... although i'm not familiar with rusty's stuff i can't see his 3" lift WITH SPRING PACKS being simialr in $$$ to a daystar budget boost..... that daystar lift should be about $90.... a lil more if you chose the greasable shackles... the bushwackers look cool but they are big $$$ i'd wait till you are done with the conversion cause you never know when u will need something unforseen.... good luck in the swap
mike

Originally i was going to get the daystar budget lift which is like $115 with greasable shackles and the bushwackers which are $370. Altogether it was about 481.99 with those 2 and the Rusty's 3" lift with the spring pack was 490.70 shipped. So i think for $9 more i should go with the lift. What do you think?

Thats probably what im going to end up doing. I would probably go with RE if it wasnt so overpriced and was complete with shocks and stuff. I've read alot of good reviews about rusty's and read others that dont like his products very much. However the articles i read about it and the problems that people had with the kit, they told him about it and he sent them new parts. Im more then likely going with rusty on this one.

Oh and I forgot to ask what transfer case you are getting? if its a 242 ( full time 4wd) you wont have to deal with vacume lines since its non disconect, but the 231 is supposed to be stronger and only a part time 4wd with vacume disconect

Back