• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing Questions

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 87 Comanche 2.5L, 4sp and from what I have seen it should have a set of 4.10s.
I plan to mount some 31x10.50s next week. Will the 4.10s be OK for this? Should I plan to go to 4.56 or 4.88s? I am worried about the 4 cyl moving the Truck with the larger tires.
For now I have no plans to go over 31s, too many other things would have to change.
I currently have 3in lift.

Scott
87 MJ
2.5l 4X4

I'd go with the 4.88s. its not even 200 rpm diffrence at 70 between the 4.56 and the 4.88s so spin it a little more and enjoy a little power.

I have an old 84 XJ, with 31's and 4.56 with a manual, and it does marginal.
I agree with REDXJ4FUN, spend a little more and get 4.88's, especially with the 4 cyl.

Your going to spend about a grand to regear maybe a little less. If you can find a fellow jeeper that is good with gears and has the tools the parts run about 500 not counting lockers and you shouldn't need to change carriers. price dosent change with motor size just the quaality of gears and the ratio but alot of places have specialslike 4.88s for $488 but i'm not sure what the curent deals are but i will be finding out soon enough.

Typical pricing is as such...

D30rev gear- $125 any ratio
master install kit-$75 with seals

D35 gears- $115
install kit- $75

labor can run you anywhere from $150/ axle on up to 300 side...

im likin the soun of your price estimates better. :yelclap:
but do u think this is somethin someone that knows not a whole lot about axles can do, or somethin u need to leave to the professionals..... i knew nothin about liftin a jeep until i did mine and figured it out. Is this a a way mroe difficult task to accomplsish?

I would say definately 4.88's....mine work quite well.

not necasarily left to the pros. because lets face it. pros were once novice. more like a competent wrench with the rigth tools. tools needed,

shop press with a bearing splitter. if you can find a used one for a few hundred then that is a good deal.
inch pound torque wrench, about 50 bucks.
dial indicator and magnetic base, bought 50 bucks also.
dial calipers capable of reading .001 accuratly.
a big impact gun for the pinion nut.
big torque wrench.
brass hammer. 20$
various sockets and wrenches.
if your lucky you can find someone in your area like me that does gears on the side.
if you want more details or instructions then drop me an email to
[email protected]

Yes go to 4.88's and sell me your 4.11's :clap: I am in the process of regearing because my front R&P is destroyed. I am going with used gears and lockers because it is a trail rig. Used I have seen gears averaging $50.
Install is going to be the BEAR

Back