• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3:55 to 4:56 - need to change carrier?

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 with the D35c rear with 3:55 gears and a Powertrax No-slip. If I want to change the gears to 4:56 (to run 32" tires) will I need to replace the carrier? Will a new carrier accept my Powertrax or not? Thanks for the info.
Ben

there are different carrier breaks for different axles.

the 35 being 3.55 and up.
the d30 is 3.73 and up
and the d44 is 3.92 and up...

What do you mean by 'breaks'?

The ring gears & pinions fit together at 90*... as the pinion tooth count gets small (lower ratios-higher #) the ring gear is offset by the carrier more (less?) than with lower # gears.

The 'break' is the limit as to what gears will work on a certain carrier.

"there are different carrier breaks for different axles.

the d30 is 3.73 and up
and the d44 is 3.92 and up..."

You want 4.56:1 and you have 3.55:1. Since the D35 is 3.55 and UP, you are OK there. The front 30 OTOH is 3.73 and UP, you will need to get another carrier for the lower gear ratio.

Hope this made sense, it was a pre-coffee answer

just to add a little bit. as the pinion gear gets smaller you have to move the ring gear closer to keep the teeth in mesh.
either the ring gear gets really thick or the mounting flange is cast with more offset. if you wnat a pic I can show you.
woody said:
The ring gears & pinions fit together at 90*... as the pinion tooth count gets small (lower ratios-higher #) the ring gear is offset by the carrier more (less?) than with lower # gears.

The 'break' is the limit as to what gears will work on a certain carrier.

"there are different carrier breaks for different axles.

the d30 is 3.73 and up
and the d44 is 3.92 and up..."

You want 4.56:1 and you have 3.55:1. Since the D35 is 3.55 and UP, you are OK there. The front 30 OTOH is 3.73 and UP, you will need to get another carrier for the lower gear ratio.

Hope this made sense, it was a pre-coffee answer

Back