• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

UCA bushing part numbers

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
I am still deciding wether to replace my UCA bushing or just invest in some JKS uppers. In either case I need to buy at least two bushings for the axle end of the uppers. What part number for rubber bushing is correct?

Thanks, Angus

The search yielded this : Napa part number, upper (axle mount) ncp 267-1372. Factory style rubber, around $7/pair.

I have had no luck getting the right UCA bushings from NAPA, Moog or any of the other suppliers. I ended up having to go to the dealer for the bushings. The Jeep part # is 5134990-AA. All of the aftermarket bushings fit in the bore but the hole for the bolt was 13mm I.D., while the factory one has a ~10mm I.D. My '97 has a 10mm bolt holding the arm to the housing and the bolt really wallowed out the larger bushing sleeve hole. I hope this new bushing will last longer than the one year that I got out of the bushing that came on my JKS arms.

NAPA's computer is wrong and NAPA doesn't know that they carry them... you'll just confuse the counter drone if you ask for UCA bushings by name. I had someone order what --they-- thought I wanted (They assumed I had to mean LCA bushings)... twice, before I finally got it thru their noggin' to order the part number I asked for, not what they thought they heard and to forget the darn computer saying they didn't carry it.

NAPA #267-1372 is correct.
UPC #7 57522 47174 9

Two in the box so you only need to get the one box. Around $10 for the pair.

lunghd said:
NAPA's computer is wrong and NAPA doesn't know that they carry them... you'll just confuse the counter drone if you ask for UCA bushings by name. I had someone order what --they-- thought I wanted (They assumed I had to mean LCA bushings)... twice, before I finally got it thru their noggin' to order the part number I asked for, not what they thought they heard and to forget the darn computer saying they didn't carry it.

NAPA #267-1372 is correct.
UPC #7 57522 47174 9

Two in the box so you only need to get the one box. Around $10 for the pair.
I told them I needed UCA axle end bushings and I got the right part. 267-1372. It's the Napa brand, two per box, under $10 for a box. They did have to ship them from Idaho (I'm in Colorado) because that was the closest that had them, took about a week.

In my area, the guys at Napa are the only ones that know anything.

I've been waiting a week and a half to get the right bushings, those puppies went in as soon as they showed up. At least my experience can be a lesson to others where not to get bushings. :wierd:

Anyways, this will illustrate the differences in UCA bushings. On the left is the bushings that the parts books list for the body end of the UCA.

In the middle is my JKS UCA with the same bushing installed and the the retaining bolt. You can see how much larger the inner sleeve I.D. is compared to the bolt. They take up the excessive clearance with those little nubs in the inside of the inner sleeve. There is a grand total of 6 nubs locating the bolt, 3 on each end of the sleeve. You can see the matching wear pattern on the bolt, where the bolt flattened out the nubs and created about 1/8 inch play. This play would cause a terrible metal on metal klunking sound sound from the front end, especially when going uphill in 4wd and when backing down hill while hitting the brakes. IMHO this is a really weak design that wears out the sleeve long before the rubber breaks down.

The part on the right is the axle end UCA bushing, the one that I had such a hard time finding. You can see how much more robust the inner sleeve is. The metric bolt that holds the contol arm to my '97 XJ is a nice fit, it will take a loooong time to wear out the sleeve. I really expect the rubber to fail long before the sleeve does. This is the bushing I put back into my JKS arm, it fits just fine.

orig.jpg

Static-XJ said:
I told them I needed UCA axle end bushings and I got the right part. 267-1372. It's the Napa brand, two per box, under $10 for a box. They did have to ship them from Idaho (I'm in Colorado) because that was the closest that had them, took about a week.

In my area, the guys at Napa are the only ones that know anything.

Yeah, NAPA here usually has good service. The old guys that have been there for years can snag parts for me no sweat. For these bushings, the NAPA in-store computer didn't cross-reference them as fitting my XJ but a savvy counter guy can find them. Part of the problem at our local NAPA was their new manager who came across as one of the "I have a Business Degree and I'm way smarter than both you or the guys who've worked here 10 years" types. Ya know, so smart he couldn't find them when provided with the part number because whatthafork did I, a mere customer, know?

When the computer didn't spit out a number for UCA's for my XJ he just 'knew' I had to mean -lower- bushings even when I asked for -upper- bushings... so he ordered lower bushings instead. Twice.

Got funny when he insisted that NAPA not only didn't carry them but also couldn't get these uca bushings even though I went in with the NAPA part number day one. A quick flash of my print out from the NAPA website shut that up pretty quick.

After two weeks and on the third trip down there... I finally got him to order EXACTLY the number I wanted... (made him read it back to me as he entered it...). The fool actually wanted to charge me $12 EACH for the two bushings ( even though they shipped in a single bag, in one box with one part number on it... ) He was just trying to cover his own butt from ordering two sets of lca bushings no one wanted.

For some reason when I go in now and he's there... the old guys wait on me. :D

Handlebars said:
There is a grand total of 6 nubs locating the bolt, 3 on each end of the sleeve. You can see the matching wear pattern on the bolt, where the bolt flattened out the nubs and created about 1/8 inch play. This play would cause a terrible metal on metal klunking sound <snip>... IMHO this is a really weak design that wears out the sleeve long before the rubber breaks down.

After about 50 high-speed off-road miles, the cheesy 10mm UCA bolts supplied with the RE6200 kit were grooved, and contributing to the sound described above...

SOLUTION: Any compentent machinist can remove the "nubs" from the i.d. This will allow for the use of a 1/2" bolt. After doing this, all the metal-on-metal noise went away. The significant increase in surface area in the bushing sleeve will lengthen service life of the bolt and bushing significantly.

As for the comment in an earlier post about chassis-side UCA bushings vs. axle-side bushings; the dealer parts-guy told me Chrysler does not distinguish parts for these installations. Translation: They're the same part. If this is not true, I look forward to someone re-posting these two part numbers.

I didn't have any luck with NAPA. Moog or other local supplier either. I bought mine from RE. They are $10 each. Part # RE3782 factory replacement

philsxj said:
I didn't have any luck with NAPA. Moog or other local supplier either. I bought mine from RE. They are $10 each. Part # RE3782 factory replacement

Moog doesn't make the uppers, only the lowers.

FYI: UCA p/n's...
NAPA: 267-1372
Chryco: 5134990AA ($40/each !!!!)
Rubicon: RE3782 ($10/each)

LCA p/n's:
Moog: K3131 ($13.56/pair!) @ Rock Auto*
Chryco: 52087720AB ($20/each)
Rubicon: RE3701 ($12/each)

*RockAuto Listes a Moog p/n for the Uppers, but it's wrong. They had to credit my order. They still have not removed this reference from their website.

NAPA's bushings

Is NAPA's bushing the proper ID or do they have the "buttons"? I dont mind dirlling but I need the warning to have the correct bolts on hand.

Angus

Angus said:
Is NAPA's bushing the proper ID or do they have the "buttons"? I dont mind dirlling but I need the warning to have the correct bolts on hand.

Angus

I don't know if the NAPA uppers have the bumps or not.

FYI: The sleeve material is heat-treated and VERY hard. You may have a tough time. I went to a machinist rather than fool with a drill press.

Enjoy.

Back