• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for header

wrxstifan

NAXJA Forum User
I own a 2001 cherokee and have been looking for a performance header ever since I got the jeep. I already have the flowmaster exhuast. But i can't find anyone who makes a header for my year jeep. Then banks came along claiming to have one, but my mechanic talked me out of getting anything banks makes. Does anyone know a reputable company the makes one and does anyone have any experience with banks headers? I also heard it is very difficult to install a header on a cherokee, is this true?

I think what most people will tell you is to save your money. The stock header on the newer XJs is already massively efficient. Spend that money on something else.

Your mechanic told you to avoid Banks....?? There is'nt one negative issue with a Banks Header or any of their other products they sell (with exception of price, however you get the best of the best) Your mechanic is spoon feeding BS to you.

Colin W. said:
I think what most people will tell you is to save your money. The stock header on the newer XJs is already massively efficient. Spend that money on something else.

The newer style header is undoubtedly better than the old ones but I wouldn't go as far as calling it massively efficient. I do think that HP/TQ gains from installing an aftermarket header on the later models are much smaller than on older models since the newer stock header already has a dual outlet. The two pipes coming from the header join into a single pipe further down before reaching the main cat. All you need to do is make sure that the pipe is at least 2.25" in diameter and doesn't have any crushed/kinked areas. It's therefore questionable whether it's worth spending $400+ to buy an aftermarket unit even if it is a top quality unit like the Banks.

Dino,
I disagree when you state the header installed on later models will yield much less hp gains; I can tell you that the hp gains with my banks is substantial. The exhaust manifold on my 01 is well *designed*, however that is where it's benefit ends because as with most factory manifolds it is made of iron which has two detriments: it does'nt flow very well and it limits the length of the runners before it becomes very restrictive. The Banks is built like an M1 tank so I expected to pay top dollar for it; however I never questioned the legitimacy of the price tag.

Using a hedder is always an improvment over stock. for the 4.0 Banks isn't the only game in town, but I've heard of no compliants about them. I have heard some bad things about Pacesetter Hedders however.Borla and Gibson make quality products. As for where to buy, I bought my hedder and exhaust from Proficient Performance, best price and free shipping.If you are going to install the hedder yourself realize that it will be a PITA and will have you saying words that won't get you into heaven.

Back