• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

*Help*Changing the Odometer reading on a 91-96 Speedo

Armageddon

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone out there know how to change the odometer reading on a 91-96 Speedo? (Nothing Illeagle, I just bought the Tach cluster and am replacing the Idiot light cluster and want to sync up the mileage.)

So here are some of the suggestions I have received so far.

1.) Take the Speedo out of the Idiot light cluster and swap it. Problem here is the gauges don't match in color and design; also the Tach cluster Speedo has an Odometer.

2.) Push the pin out of the center of the Odometer wheels, reset the number/mileage wheels, and then press the pin back in and re-secure it with glue/epoxy. (I am not a big fan of anything that needs to be glued, and I am convinced that pressing/tapping, ok, pounding out the pin will break lots of stuff, I might be wrong, but I just can't see this route working.)

3.) Use a dental tool and find the ratchet that indexes the gear, push it out of the way and reset our numbers. (I can't see, or find the ratchet, and am afraid I will break it, lots of plastic surrounded by, Hmmm, more plastic.) The Jury is still out, but this sounds like the best option I have been given.

4.) Pay the speedometer shop $40.00 and have them re-set, the odometer, they will also file some paperwork with the DMV, and give you some stickers, (Just like when you get a shot, and are a good boy at the doctors office.) that tell the next potential owner that the odometer has been changed. (I would rather keep the $40.00, I only paid $41.00 for the entire cluster, and would rather spend the $41.00 on the Oil PSI, and Coolant Temp Sending units I need to purchase to make everything work correctly.)

A little Spedometer humor:

http://www.ozjokes.com/funnypics/ShowImage.aspx?img=stopnow.jpg

Most people with older vehicles just leave the mileage as it is. You can take some photos if you'd like just to document the swap in action.
If you're really corncerned about the mileage discrepancy, pay the $$ and have the speedo shop do the work and file the papers with the DMV.

JEEPZZ said:
Most people with older vehicles just leave the mileage as it is. You can take some photos if you'd like just to document the swap in action.
If you're really corncerned about the mileage discrepancy, pay the $$ and have the speedo shop do the work and file the papers with the DMV.

It just torques me to have the spedo shop do it, it will proably take them 5 minutes and they will proably use one of the methods I mentioned in the earlier post.

Problem is I am going from 95K on the stock Cherokee, to 130K on the new odometer, that's 55K, that's alot of miles if I ever go to sell it, and I don't care what you tell peopl, and how many pictures you have the mileage on that odometer is going to be what they have set in theri mind as the actual mileage.

More than likley if I can't figure it out on my own, or get some advice from someone that has I will break down and spend the $40.00 OUCH!!!.

if all you are worried about is what the *possible* next owner will think about the mileage discrepancy, then i think that the $40 would be WELL worth the "imagined" 55k "EXTRA" miles that the possible next owner might think the jeep has on it.

To 3 speedos I have changed the mileage on the odo to match my vehicle's actual mileage. 2 XJs one Benz. It necessitated that I partially dismantle the guage so that I can rotate the numbers. Reassembled, and all worked like new.

XJguy

I've done this before myself, not to a Jeep though (to a Ford Courier actually). Anyway, you must take apart the speedo and then very gently rotate the numbers. It's a PITA to do this and have everything lined up right on re-assemebely. Take your old Speedo, jot down the current numbers, then change it around so you get a feel for how to do it.

Sequoia

Back