• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector/Fuel Rail Disassembly

Beagles

NAXJA Forum User
What tool do I need to use to remove the fuel line at the disconnect at the back of the fuel rail ('89 4.0)? I got the front one off okay but there's not enough room to get the fuel line tool into the fitting at the back. Also, is there a trick to removing the clip that holds the injector to the wiring harness? The last time I did this I wound up using a small screwdriver to pry off the metal clip that holds the injector to the harness.

Thanks,
Jim

There is no special tool required, you just press the plastic ears against the metal line - the male line - and then pull the coupling apart.

When you pull it apart you will have a plastic piece and it should have two O rings and 1 spacer. The Jeep mainteance manual says you have to replace the plastic piece and the O rings every time you have the joint apart.

You need to go to your local jeep dealer and buy the "fuel line coupling repair kit". The parts guy will know what it is, expect to pay around $15 for one of them and if you pull of the fuel injector rail you will need two kits. The kit comes with the plastic piece, the O rings and the spacer. In addition, there is an installation tool which you place the O ring, spacer, O ring then plastic retainer on, then slide it into the female part of the coupling. When you hear the plastic ears "click" then you can pull out the installation tool.

When you prepare the joint for reassembly use a bent paper clip to pull out the old O rings if they did not come out with the fuel line. Make sure no O rings are left in the coupling before you install the new repair kit.

Do not try to reuse the coupling. You are dealing with fuel under pressure and being cheap could result in an engine bay fire and loss of your XJ.

As long as we are talking fuel rails, is there anything other than a bad pressure regulator that will cause gas to leak from the seal around the regulator where the two halves come together? Mine drips a little when it is cold. When it is warmed up there is no drip.

I do not have to crank the engine for this to happen just turn the key to the on position and let the fuel pump do it's thing. I am on my second Kragen regulator. Do I need to get a better one or is there another problem I don't know about?

martin said:
There is no special tool required, you just press the plastic ears against the metal line - the male line - and then pull the coupling apart.

When you pull it apart you will have a plastic piece and it should have two O rings and 1 spacer. The Jeep mainteance manual says you have to replace the plastic piece and the O rings every time you have the joint apart.

You need to go to your local jeep dealer and buy the "fuel line coupling repair kit". The parts guy will know what it is, expect to pay around $15 for one of them and if you pull of the fuel injector rail you will need two kits. The kit comes with the plastic piece, the O rings and the spacer. In addition, there is an installation tool which you place the O ring, spacer, O ring then plastic retainer on, then slide it into the female part of the coupling. When you hear the plastic ears "click" then you can pull out the installation tool.

When you prepare the joint for reassembly use a bent paper clip to pull out the old O rings if they did not come out with the fuel line. Make sure no O rings are left in the coupling before you install the new repair kit.

Do not try to reuse the coupling. You are dealing with fuel under pressure and being cheap could result in an engine bay fire and loss of your XJ.

Thanks - this sounds pretty straight forward. Is there an easy way to disconnect the injectors from the harness as well?

Patience and a dental pick is the trick to removing the clip that holds the wiring harness to the injector.

ANd for what it is worth,DO NOT LOOSE THE CLIPS!!! They cannot be bought idividually,or at least that's what I've heard.

8700XJS said:
As long as we are talking fuel rails, is there anything other than a bad pressure regulator that will cause gas to leak from the seal around the regulator where the two halves come together? Mine drips a little when it is cold. When it is warmed up there is no drip.

I've just replaced my regulator. I was having same leak problem -- due to the cold weather. I think the problem could have been resolved by just replacing the 2 o-rings that are used with the regulator.

Beagles said:
Thanks - this sounds pretty straight forward. Is there an easy way to disconnect the injectors from the harness as well?

I was able to change then out on a 10 degree montana moring with a fingernail. its realy no problem. its easyest if you take the rail off with the injectors still attached.. then remove the individual injectors. that way you have less likelyhood of loosing the wire clips.

churky89 said:
ANd for what it is worth,DO NOT LOOSE THE CLIPS!!! They cannot be bought idividually,or at least that's what I've heard.

AutoZone has them. Part # 800-9417. It looks like it's only available with there online ordering, not at there local stores.

ok i know this is an old a$$ post but yes auto zone can get them .... from the dealer at $5 a piece & next day delivery. i was just there yesterday checking.

i am workin on my fuel line too, replaced all the o-rings on the injectors.

Back