• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi everyone!

ladywolf

UH-60L Jeep Chick
Hey everyone, I'm a new member. I have a 99 cherokee classic. currently I'm stationed in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, so of course i'm missin my jeep which is back in germany. When I return stateside I want to build it up, but being new to the jeeping community, I'm feeling rather dumb when it comes to what lift i want, tires, wheels, etc. . . I want to put 33x12.50's under my xj, but I was thinkin i would need at least a 4" lift, and a slip yoke eliminator. Do I sound anywhere close? Any input would be great, because I'm a mechanic, but I'm not the greatest. Thanks everyone!

Kris

ladywolf said:
Hey everyone, I'm a new member. I have a 99 cherokee classic. currently I'm stationed in Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, so of course i'm missin my jeep which is back in germany. When I return stateside I want to build it up, but being new to the jeeping community, I'm feeling rather dumb when it comes to what lift i want, tires, wheels, etc. . . I want to put 33x12.50's under my xj, but I was thinkin i would need at least a 4" lift, and a slip yoke eliminator. Do I sound anywhere close? Any input would be great, because I'm a mechanic, but I'm not the greatest. Thanks everyone!

Kris

It really depends on what you want to do with it.... but 33's with 4 inches and some trimming should work fine (although the 1250's might require a bit more trimming then 1050's and or you might want to limit a bit your uptravel up front).... Also, you seem to be ahead of the game, by expecting to put in the SYE. In any case, you might want to browse through some of the tech posts as this topic is covered failry often...

Welcome Ladywolf!! :wave:

Like Kejtar said, you've found the right place for a truck load of info. Check out the search feature they have here. You'll find more info then you'll have time to read. Otherwise, just ask and someone will jump on and help you out with what you need to know. (single key words work better on the search, like "lift size" or "tire size" etc.)

Anyway,

Thanks for stickin' your neck out over there. Us state side folks really appreciate the risks you troops are taking for us. PLEASE, just watch your ass :moon: . We don't want to hear that we lost a follow XJ'er (or any of the others, for that matter!!!)

Steve

WI88XJ said:
Welcome Ladywolf!! :wave:

Thanks for stickin' your neck out over there. Us state side folks really appreciate the risks you troops are taking for us. PLEASE, just watch your ass :moon: . We don't want to hear that we lost a follow XJ'er (or any of the others, for that matter!!!)

Steve

Ditto what Steve said. Thank you!

As far as your lift and tire combo, you will need some fairly significant trimming to fit 33x12.5 on a 4 inch lift, but it is certainly doable (say with TJ flares). I run 32x11.5's on an RE 4.5, and had to do some minor trimming, still have an occasional rub at full stuff with steering cranked. Good luck with whatever you choose - and take care over there!

Chris

ladywolf said:

Kris
I to am in iraq. I sure do miss my Jeep also. Im runnin 3 inches of lift and 31's right now. I plan on 5.5 lift and 33's when i get back. Here are some shots of my XJ 2 are on 31's and the others are on 32's all with 3 inches of lift. http://community.webshots.com/user/jeepin_rebel

Spc Stauffer Camp Junction City (riffles west) Iraq :us:

Hey Jeepin Rebel,

You and Ladywolf should find out if you're stationed in the same area. You could get together and talk XJ's and such. Hell, I wonder how many other XJ'ers are over there. You know, if there are enough of you, you could maybe start your own chapter!! That would be pretty cool!! Call it the Baghdad chapter. What do you say, NAXJA members?

Thanks Jeepin and Ladywolf and any other american fighters that are stuck over there instead of wheelin' here. Youse guys are my heros!!! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

Steve

If a salute from a civilian means anything to you Ladywolf and Jeepin You have my best! Profound thanks for ensuring that Freedom will continue to ring around the globe! God bless you and bring you home safe and soon!

I think the SYE and shaft is a great idea for your 99.

Depending how & where you intend to wheel the XJ would help us help you with advice. I ran 33x12.5" on a trimmed 89 4 door at like -+4" in front and a bit less in back. The back tires rubbed pretty bad. (8" x 4" backspace wheels)

I'd 'generically' advise more like +5" or so for 33", without need for huge amounts of trimming...but that all varies with use and such.

Thanks for serving! :salute:

I missed my jeep the first time I was in Iraq and I am missing it even more now that I am on my way over there once again. If the army hadn't screwed things up, I wouldn't be going back and doing more wheelin. Also I want to know how, if you are in Iraq you have time to be reading a forumn on Jeeps, don't you have a peace keeping job to do?

Joe (USMC)

turbobaja1835 said:
I missed my jeep the first time I was in Iraq and I am missing it even more now that I am on my way over there once again. If the army hadn't screwed things up, I wouldn't be going back and doing more wheelin. Also I want to know how, if you are in Iraq you have time to be reading a forumn on Jeeps, don't you have a peace keeping job to do?

Joe (USMC)
Well "joe" I am a 88m (truck driver) We didnt screw anything up. If memory serves me right yall were here first and we had to come finish what u started. As for the fourm seems your just sour cause u dont have the ability to use the net. If you have any further coments u would like to share with me Id be more than happy to hear from you. [email protected]

As for the Fellow XJ'ers I feel the need to thank you all for your support. So please keep on wheelin for those of us who cant right now. Thank you for your support.

Spc Stauffer camp JC Iraq :us:

P.s "joe" If you must know i come onthe net during my sleep time and am still able to to my job every day. Whats yer excuse?

I am sorry for my previous comments but i can not understand how some are so inconvienced to serve our country.:us:

Spc Stauffer Camp JC Iraq :us:

Thanks for your service! As for the 33x12.50's I ran them with 5.5" of lift on stock rims for a while. They rubbed the rear inner fender well and the front springs. I put on some AR rims a few weeks ago and the no longer rub in those areas. I think my BS is 4" or so.... HTH

On a side note XJinmud is coming your way soon. Saw him over the holidays and he is going ot try and get a NAXJA sticker for his Hummer. I'l post pictures if he gets away with it.

To everyone out there:

Thanks for all your support and the ideas. I dont want to have to do too much trimming, so a 5.5" rubicon express lift was what i was looking at if I had to go up that far. I was thinking about bushwacker fender flares, but I don't know, depends on how much money I have to play with. I was thinking lockers, but I dont plan on doing a whole lot of heavy wheeling, because my XJ is also my daily driver back and forth to work. I want it to have pretty decent street manners, and be pretty capable offroad. My gramma has a 47' willys that I learned to wheel in, so the XJ community is new to me. Wheres Junction City at? I'm over at Baghdad Intl. For the USMC, being a blackhawk mechanic, we get a lot of down time when we arent working on the birds. Right now our wrench time has been cut down a lot due to weather and the fact that we are soon to be rotating out of here, and we are letting 1st CAV take over. Having the support of everyone back at home is a great thing, and I know that all of us out here do appreciate it a lot! I personally havent really done any peacekeeping missions, but I do go outside the wire. I've noticed something about Iraq, though. There are places that you dont really notice the smell (rural farmlike areas) then some places around baghdad just plain STINK!!! The stench is about enough to make you think that some really big person had been eatin a combo of MRE's, taco's and shelf stable milk! Just plain disgusting! Anyhew, I needs to get goin, you guys be safe and have fun 'wheelin! Maybe one day here in the near future i'll be able to get to go and actually meet some of ya!

turbobaja1835 said:

Joe (USMC)

By ther way "Joe" like Rebel I myself am using my offtime to be able to use the 'net. We dont get away with it during work. We wrench till the job is done.

turbobaja1835 said:

Joe (USMC)

Well I guess we have our priorities. When I deployed I missed my wife and 3 children. My Xj was probably the last thing on my mind. Deploying comes w/ the job.

I was over in Iraq for 8 months doing search and rescue, it sucks but thats my job... I missed my Dog most of all then my XJ.. But Im back for the time being so life is good..

whats with the finger pointing?? i don't recall the conflict over there being the fault of ANYONE in NAXJA..... i think you are all doing an important job! regardless of how soon you rotate out or how soon you are heading over there.... watch eachothers backs and come home safe...
mike

you guys are right

You know, you guys are right. Everyone has different priorities. My highest priority is to leave this place wiggling all 10 fingers and toes in one piece with a relative small number of bumps and bruises from wrenching. Yes I miss my family very much, and hopefully I'll be home in time to watch my younger brother graduate from high school. Hey question for all you jeepers....if I installed a 3'' lift and 31's would that work out ok? I'm tempted to not completely build up my cherokee right from the start, but to work up slowly, that way as my wrenching skills/'wheeling skills improve, so does the lift, tires, etc. . and would a yoke slip eliminator still be a good idea for something as small as just a 3'' lift, and would I need to change out driveshafts, etc. .

Thanks!
Kris

p.s. Anyone out there from WA? GO COUGS!!!

A SYE is a good idea anytime in my opinion, but not mandatory w/ a 3" lift. 31" will work great w/ a 3" lift. That is what I am running and w/ some extended bump stops or trimming you won't have any rubbing. Come home safe.

Back