• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Pulley Question

rws

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the serpintine belt on my 90 4.0 liter along with the idler pulley and fan clutch to cure a very loud bearing squeal that was coming from the front of the moter. Worked like a charm except when I put it all back together the belt is not centered on the fan pulley, it wants to ride near the back of the pulley but every thing is in perfect alignment and is running true. Can someone check there vehicle and tell me where there serpintine belt sits on the fan pulley???

check to see if the harmonic balance isnt coming apart and "walking out". i would replace the harmonic any way at that age. very common problem

Checked the HB,no seperation ,looks great. My problem is that I can not tell where the belt was running on the fan pulley before I changed every thing. The vehicle works great except that common sense tells me that the belt should sit on the center of the pulley. FSM says nothing. Could you check your jeep and tell me where the belt rides.?? Thanks

The belt has to be centered on the grooved part of the pully. If it's not this way, then one or more of the belt's ribs will be riding on the part of the pully that doesn't have grooves. I think there one groove for each rib, no more and no less.

The fan pulley has no grooves, it is smooth. The backside (smooth) side of the belt ride on the fan pulley idler pulley and water pump. The grooved side runs on the HB, power steering pump,alt.,and the AC pulley

The belt rides more towards the engine side on my '90 4.0. Been like that since I can remember.

Thanks. Thats the answer I was hoping for. I wouldn't be to concerned about it then.

Back