• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition Switch Problem...Martin, Eagle?

sbxj

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search but didn't find much. Got to work this morning and tried to turn off the Jeep (93). The key would not turn and it seems the lock cylinder is froze up. The buzzer is still on but I managed to get it to shut down. Of course it wont start now. How and what do I need to fix this. I don't have my manual at work and I'm stuck here till I fix it. Thanks to all!

Got a steering wheel puller handy? To get the lock cylander out you have to pull the steering wheel. Unless of course you don't care what happens to the cylander in there. If that is the case just drill the tumblers out and then when you get home replace the cylnader.

SBXJ,

I talked to my local guru and showed him your post. Like ghost said you will have to get to the lock cyldiner to determine if it the lock or the ignition switch.

I am not sure if you heve the GM column or the Chrysler column. My experience is limited to the GM column.

My buddy who does mechanic work on the side, works as an engineer during the day, told me he had a guy with your same problem. The guy called a mobile locksmith and for less than $50 he had the problem fixed.

Look in the yellow pages, call a locksmith who had mobile service, tell him your problem, and see what he recommends. It might cheaper and faster to pay the lock smith.

try turning the key all the way towards you a few times then try to start it. also, are your wheels turned? sometimes the steering lock will give you problems. could also try turning the steering wheel back and forth while you try to start the car.

Thanks Everyone.. I found a thread (Martin) with the same problem that discusses the symptoms and fix. I've got a friend coming with tools. I have the tilt column...is that the GM? I tried like hell to to get the switch to work. It feels like nothings going on in there. Just mush...funny how it can work one minute and with no symptoms or warning, just stop working :rolleyes:

A 1993 model will have the GM-supplied column. To get out the lock cylinder,
you will need to remove horn button, then the steering wheel, and then the lock plate below it. The lock plate requires a special tool available at Sears, and most auto parts stores.

Then, you will need to remove the turn signal switch from it's seat in the top of the column to reach the screw that holds the lock cylinder in place. Then, the lock cylinder can be withdrawn out of it's bore in the column housing.

Then, one can use a screwdriver to turn the lever that actuates the actual ignition switch. If the lever turns, and the XJ starts/runs normally, you know it's the lock, and not the switch.

It turned out the switch and cylinder were bad. Got everything back together and it works great except now I have no dash lights. Brake lights work, checked all fuses (good). What happened? Are the dash lights somehow connected to the headlight switch? (Dimmer?) Thanks for all the help.

Dash lights are part of the headlight switch. DId you end up upsetting (loosening) the headlight connector when digging around under the dash for the ignition switch?

Another possibility is a trashed connector at the headlight switch proper. They are somewhat notorious for melting and/or loosing good connection. Diagnosis is an easy visual examination.

Back