• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for opinions

Fletchs90xj

NAXJA Forum User
So the next and prolly last mod for a while on my project XJ is doing gears and lockers. I don't plan on going any bigger then 32" tires maybe when the 31s wear out. I set on putting ARB lockers in and prolly 4:10s. SO will I run into problems with the ol D35 when it gets lock and geared lower or should it be just fine? And if an axle swap is iminent(sp?) I'd prolly go with an 8.8 w/db. But I don't want to have to change out the rear if it will sufice.
I generally take 'er easy on the trail but do like to challenge myself. I guess the nick name BOF ( Balls out Fletch) might say otherwise:D
thanks for any thought on this
Fletch

two options for the rear...
#1 pick up a used D44, $350-400 on NAXJA
add an ARB and gears and an install kit. about $800
or
#2 get a super 35 kit with an ARB- around $800 -ish but I can double check.
add gears. $110 and pinion bearings.

or you can see what it takes to snap a 35 shaft.

#1 is good for 35's
#2 is good for 33's

for the front...
ARB $600
Gears $125
install kit $75

I posted a questions like this a little while back and got a few replys from guys running 32s locked with the stock dana35 who hadn't broken it yet. I personally am not going to swap axles until I can afford 35s I mean whats the point really :0 Right now I am running 235s with a lockrite and I rail on that sucker hard on some pretty nasty hill climbs the d35 hasn't snapped yet. I know plenty of guys running 31s locked with no problem I say go for it.

I ran 31's with a lock right without a problem. When I went to 33's and Tellico I had a broken rear shaft. I'd say you are fine with 31's.

32" with 410s, ARB and the D35 should be fine for people with a right foot which has some attachment to a BRAIN.

mark

Why not just get a 29 spline 8.25? They go for what? $150? It will bolt right in and handle 35s and theres an ARB for it too.

Mark Hinkley said:
32" with 410s, ARB and the D35 should be fine for people with a right foot which has some attachment to a BRAIN.

Brains are highly overrated they cost too much for no significant improvement in proformance, I disconnected mine years ago!

ZachMan said:
Why not just get a 29 spline 8.25? They go for what? $150? It will bolt right in and handle 35s and theres an ARB for it too.
I agree with this. I got my 29-spline 8.25 with 4.10's already in it for $200 and I sold my old axle for $100. The 8.25 is a direct, bolt-in swap, is cost effective, and is about par with a 44 strength-wise.

Back