• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push Button Start?

FatXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Well the Jeep failed me again. I went to start it this morning and I got nothing. So I had to ride my bike 5 miles to school in the snow. So anyway when I got back i took out the starter and tested it and it works fine so I checked and the starter relay or something isn't working right even though the manual says if it's clicking it is working. Well I decided that I am cheap and instead of a screwdriver I am going to wire a push button to start it for the time being. My question is besides the fact that the interior power won't shutdown when I start it this way is there any other damamge I will do? Normally when the start position is activated the interior power is shut off until the starter is stopped.

My friend says he is going to drive it more if I put the push button in. I think it is the best antitheft detterent I can buy.

i dont know but mine wont start sometimes and i had 2 wires runnin from the starter to the inside and when i toutch em together wow it starts, but my wires got cut so now when it wont start i jes turn the key, go underneth and toutch the wire terminals together with a screwdriver and it starts, but u said snow, i dont have that problem

In similar situations before I've needed a switch and not had one. I've often used the horn wire to fire the starter. Just yank the wire off and run it over to the starter. Works great and no thief would ever think to hit the horn to start your jeep. Turn the key on and punch the horn. In the three cars I've done this to in the past I havent damaged anything. Knock on wood.....

The problem is the solinoid that activates the starter. We have this problem with starters on tractors at work. Nothing a screw driver held between the 2 posts won't handle. Anyways, purchasing a new solinoid can not be that expensive and plus it will keep everything looking stock:D
Good luck

Why not? I got tired of replacing start relays in my 88, so I used a momentary toggle as a "hot-wire" on the start relay (I forget which terminals offhand...) and just use that once the key is turned to "ON." I like it - but I still need to get my ignition kills wired and the like. Start relay draws 6-8A, so select your switch accordingly. If you have a mariner's supply house handy that stocks Cole-Hersee, you are already in good shape, as that is what I like to use...

5-90

I installed a push button start when my ignition swith took a dump. Wire the switch into the keyed hot of the starter solenoid, and you'll still need the key to start it. Turn it to run (not start), push the botton, and you're good to go. This will also bypass the NSS, but since I don't have reverse lights, I haven't addressed it. The button is barely visible under the dash.

site1013.jpg

-Jon

Nice guage, what's that for? boost? :)

I used a common house light swtch on a VolksWagen Bus years ago.

NNNNAAAAWWSSSSSS

Back