• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 Tank ?

DXJ

NAXJA Forum User
When people use a CO2 tank (like the Power Tank) do they use a tank with or without a syphon tube? I think I know the answer but I would like confirmation.

I've talked to people that claim to have used these tanks and they had different ideas about the syphon tube. I've also seen people use them while the tank was lying down. I didn't feel like arguing with them.

Thanks.

hmm...

Maybe this is too stupid of a question. Maybe if I rephrase it.

When using a CO2 tank to inflate tires, should the CO2 be taken from the top of the tank (the gas part - no syphon tube) or should it be taking from bottom of the tank (the liquid part - with syphon tube)?

I talked to a guy at a welding gas supply place that said he uses a tank with a syphon tube to fill tires after dune running. I found that hard to believe so I thought I'd come to the "experts".

Long story short - btt.

AFAIK, You don't use a syphon tube. Because when you draw off the top, the liquid CO2 dissolves into a gas to keep pressure in the tank up. That's just what I understand.

This is exactly what I'm doing now. The guy I get my gas from says a siphon tube should not be used, and he fills his tires from a tank without one. I also believe that the tank should only be mounted vertically. My understanding is that the only reason to use a siphon tube is so you can have a smaller canister (like the paintball folks.) I also know that paintball guns tend to jam up when running CO2 in this arrangement.

If anyone has contrary information I too would like to hear it before I lay down $30.00 for a full 10# tank and CO2 regulator.

Thanks,

Matt

mattb said:
This is exactly what I'm doing now. The guy I get my gas from says a siphon tube should not be used, and he fills his tires from a tank without one. I also believe that the tank should only be mounted vertically. My understanding is that the only reason to use a siphon tube is so you can have a smaller canister (like the paintball folks.) I also know that paintball guns tend to jam up when running CO2 in this arrangement.

If anyone has contrary information I too would like to hear it before I lay down $30.00 for a full 10# tank and CO2 regulator.

Thanks,

Matt
Where in the world can I get one for $30.00?
J/K

mattb said:

Thanks,

Matt

For paintball you use an ANTI-siphon tube becuase the tanks are usually horizontal. Without the ANTI-siphon tube the gun would draw liquid CO2 (as you know) which ruins the o-rings and causes pressure (velocity) variations. If you had to mount your tank horizontally, and couldn't remove it to fill tires (or didn't want to) then an ANTI-siphon tube would be usefull, but not necessary. I don't know if the cold of liquid CO2 will hurt the rubber in the tires, but it will expand in the tire and fill it up just the same. Though you may not have an accurate pressure reading for a few minutes.

:dunno:

Okie Terry said:
Where in the world can I get one for $30.00?
J/K

My shop forman loves nothing more than trading his "junk" for other people's "junk." Whatever I need it seems he know someone who knows someone who has just what I need. Last month I got a 3hp 20gallon air compressor for $20.00. :)

if you going to use c02 for filling tires or for air tool make sure the regulator is a high flow type or you could end up with icing problems i got a from http://www.4x4rockshop.com/ they have a reg fixed pressure at 150 lbs for under 30 bucks

Thanks. Now at least I know I'm not losing my mind (at least about this).

Within a week I talked to one guy that said he used a syphon tube and one guy that lays his tank down to fill tires. Both are wrong as far as I have always known. This week just got me second guessing myself.

Thanks again for the replies.

Back