• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Opinions before buying another XJ tomorrow

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I looked at a 1992 XJ. It was a TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) fleet truck previously.

It is a basic, no frills unit. It has a 4.0 HO engine with 128XXX on the clock. It is an automatic. It has an NP231 T-case (that works--I checked it). The rear axle is a Chrysler 8.25. The front is a Dana 30. Not sure what the gear ratio is--the tag was too dirty.

Other than that, it is a four door, no luggage rack, factory tow package, mini-console, no skids at all, vinyl/plastic seats, aftermarket stereo, full guages.

The exterior is straight as an arrow, except a "crushed" rear bumper, a pencil eraser sized rust spot in the paint on left rear door, and a paint chip about 2 inches long on the header panel.

They are asking $2500. Just for reference, I currently have a 96 ZJ with the 4.0 and an 85 XJ with the 2.8.

So...what about the price...fair?

Anything to worry/know about with the 4.0 HO--the 8.25 axle--the NP 231?

TIA

Point to Ponder---I wonder what it is like to drive a stock XJ with sway bars on it????

$2500 for a 92 might be a little high, but you would hope that it's service record is pretty good considering it was a fleet vehicle. Is the price negotiable?? A vehicle that old is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it.
You're probably looking at 3.55 axle gear ratio in that year and model. the 8.25 likely is a 27 spline that you can upgrade to 29 spline.
all in all, I think it's a good deal and I don't think you'd be wrong in getting it.

Take a look at nada.com and you'll find an average retail price of about $3000. A couple of months ago I bought an '89 Laredo for $2000 and it had the same mileage. It had been advertised for a couple of days and I think I was the first one to look at. I had to replace all the bearing in the diff; otherwise, it was in pretty good shape. Mine is salt-free, but the values are lower in the salt states.

Just bought a 92 last Fri. 124K with the 4.0 & auto, 231. Leather seats and all power. Paid 2700 total, tax,title, lic. out the door.

Since you're asking for an opinion...

autotrader.com do a search.

97s around here have been going for as low as $2500.00 w/ similar miles.

Found a clean 93k mile 97 XJ for $3400 OBO.

I bought my 96 XJ 2 door sport all the goodies for $2000.00 138k, over a year ago!

Teron

IMO, 91 was when they started making the XJ right. 92 was one of the best years ever. I don't think you can go wrong, especially with the low(er) miles. Haggle!

two months ago, i got my 93 sport, 143.000, 231, leather int., roof rack, pirellis, no stereo, dealer said needed clutch (turns out to need mast. cyl), no rust (in detroit), $1200 otd.

Back