• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cast Iron Rotors on a 99

Walt from Ky

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at the thread below aout warped rotors and on composite rotors about the only way you can turn them true is on the car. The dealer here has a machine that does that, for a steep fee. I'm dead set on replacing my composite rotors with cast iron and here is what I've found so far. The dealer said they had cast rotors for the 99 for about 70.00 and i went out to pick them up. When I opened the box they were composite rotors. The parts man said that he messed up and that the cast part number refers back to the composite. While I was there I measured the rotors and they were 3 1/8 tall. the center hub (stamped steel) was 1/8 thick. I went to NAPA and they had a set of cast that they said would work on a 99. I measured them and the total height was 3 1/16 and the center hub was 5/16 thick. I'm pretty leary about the offset of the rotor in the caliper but they said that it would work. Also it would move my wheel base out almost another inch. Has anyone tried this on a late model? Can you space the caliper out? Brakes are one thing I won't fudge on and if there is any chance of failure or improper operation I won't do it. Any advice-help would be appreciated. Thanks: Walt from Ky.

I would be more worried about the "hat" of the rotor not having a large enough inside diameter to fit over the bearing hub.

what is the true application for those full-cast rotors?

Thats a good question and one that I'll ask NAPA tomorrow. I'm still hoping someone out there has tried this and has a simple solution. If not I might just have to live with the composite rotors and change them often. I have almost 32K on my present rotors with no warping issues but I plan to tow a small bass boat some this summer and thought the cast rotors would hold up better than the composite. Walt from Ky.

those dimensions sound right for the earlier full cast XJ rotors, and those particular rotors will NOT fit over the bearing hub.

trust me... I know ;)

Back