• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pic of stock XJ with UpCountry package??

pancake

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully of the newer style...97 and up. A side shot would be great! :)

pancake said:
Hopefully of the newer style...97 and up. A side shot would be great! :)

At the risk of asking a stupid question: what are you looking for in the picture?

If you are interested in what the ride height looks like (and that's about the only thing truly visible in a side shot), it's only one inch more than a 'standard' XJ. You can hardly notice it, unless you have two vehicles side by side to compare.

Just curious........

AZ Jeff said:
At the risk of asking a stupid question: what are you looking for in the picture?

If you are interested in what the ride height looks like (and that's about the only thing truly visible in a side shot), it's only one inch more than a 'standard' XJ. You can hardly notice it, unless you have two vehicles side by side to compare.

Just curious........

Yup, that's what I'm looking for. Granted, it would hardly be noticable. My cousin is looking to buy an XJ (he liked mine) and he sent me a pic. It looks like it's a little higher than mine, but hard to tell if it has the UpCountry. He asked the owner, but he looked confused and doesn't know. I figured I could MAYBE compare and see. He's wanting to make an offer tomorrow if possible, but he wants the UpCountry package. That's all...

btw, I know there are other things to look for (shocks, sometimes a sticker, tranny cooler, etc) but it's hard to tell. I was just lookin' for some help. :)

pancake said:
Yup, that's what I'm looking for. Granted, it would hardly be noticable. My cousin is looking to buy an XJ (he liked mine) and he sent me a pic. It looks like it's a little higher than mine, but hard to tell if it has the UpCountry. He asked the owner, but he looked confused and doesn't know. I figured I could MAYBE compare and see. He's wanting to make an offer tomorrow if possible, but he wants the UpCountry package. That's all...

btw, I know there are other things to look for (shocks, sometimes a sticker, tranny cooler, etc) but it's hard to tell. I was just lookin' for some help. :)

I can dig around for a pic, but.... you can't tell a difference from that. You hardly could tell difference when you had two parked next to each other. Your best bet is to take the VIN to a dealer and have them verify for you at either service or parts counter.

What you listed sounds like a good start in identifying a package... btw UpCountry is 97 or more recent as before it was called something else. Also in case you didn't think about it, look at the other things: skids all around, front rear tow hooks, full size spare, trac loc (test by lifting the rear and spinning one tire)

A general guideline for "Up Country" suspension is that it rides one inch higher (with equal load) compared to a stock vehicle.

The rule of thumb is to measure the distance from the bottom of the fender flare to the CENTERLINE of the wheel. On stock suspension, the height is 17.5 inches up front, 17.0 in the back. Add one inch to each of these for the "Up Country" package.

And, as Ketjar said, Up Country suspension tends to be bundled with other stuff, such as skid plates, tow hooks, and traction lock rear axle. Those tend to be added clues.

Good luck.

AZ Jeff said:
A general guideline for "Up Country" suspension is that it rides one inch higher (with equal load) compared to a stock vehicle.

The rule of thumb is to measure the distance from the bottom of the fender flare to the CENTERLINE of the wheel. On stock suspension, the height is 17.5 inches up front, 17.0 in the back. Add one inch to each of these for the "Up Country" package.

And, as Ketjar said, Up Country suspension tends to be bundled with other stuff, such as skid plates, tow hooks, and traction lock rear axle. Those tend to be added clues.

Good luck.
The measurements would work except for the fact that the springs on a 97 (up-country or not) could have settled below the stock spring height by now. I've seen plenty of 97+ XJ's that almost look lowered due to fatigue.

sbxj said:
The measurements would work except for the fact that the springs on a 97 (up-country or not) could have settled below the stock spring height by now. I've seen plenty of 97+ XJ's that almost look lowered due to fatigue.

XJ's tend to settle in the back, but RARELY in the front. If you measure the front ride height, it will be a good clue as to whether the vehicle has std. or Up Country springs.

In any case, there should be 1/2 inch less dimension at the rear wheels than at the front, if the vehicle has good springs all around.

My 98 UC was 1.5" higher front/2" higher back. I still use the rear leafs with an extended shackle to clear 32" ATko's/with flare trimming at the lower edges.
It sits level with my front 3" coils & 3/4" poly spacer, even with 110K miles, no noticeable sag.
I got my money out of these stockers :)

Ronbo said:
My 98 UC was 1.5" higher front/2" higher back. I still use the rear leafs with an extended shackle to clear 32" ATko's/with flare trimming at the lower edges.
It sits level with my front 3" coils & 3/4" poly spacer, even with 110K miles, no noticeable sag.
I got my money out of these stockers :)

So, for the measurements you had:

Front - 19"

Rear - 19"

??

AZ Jeff said:
Then you are sitting high in the back by 1/2 inch. That's pretty negligible. I will bet you cannot detect it visually.

The 19" measurement was stock, before the extended shackle.

Stock springs/trimming/32's/shackle:

picture.JPG

:greensmok

Last edited:
Back