• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket Shifter for AW-4

LeJeepnut

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make a aftermarket or performance shifter for the AW-4 trans?
Also someone used to make a device to hold the AW-4 in low gear, Where do I get one?

Scrappy said:
Welcome to NAXJA. Luckly we offer a search program to help us out. You should try it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthre...=&threadid=6446

MATT

Scrappy's feelin' a little scrappy... :)

There's been quite a few discussions about the low gear mod on this board. Someone makes a kit, but it's really easy to do yourself and you'll save $$. You just need a toggle switch and some wire. I hooked it up to my trans POWER/ECONOMY switch. But don't have the wiring diagram, etc. any longer. Also search the internet, I saw a great write-up, but forgot the site.

I don't think anybody makes an aftermarket shifter for the AW-4.... :dunno:

XJZ said:
Scrappy's feelin' a little scrappy... :)

There's been quite a few discussions about the low gear mod on this board. Someone makes a kit, but it's really easy to do yourself and you'll save $$. You just need a toggle switch and some wire. I hooked it up to my trans POWER/ECONOMY switch. But don't have the wiring diagram, etc. any longer. Also search the internet, I saw a great write-up, but forgot the site.

I don't think anybody makes an aftermarket shifter for the AW-4.... :dunno:

What tranny comes with a POWER/ECONOMY switch? I'm not challanging you, I'm just curious what year XJ, with what tranny?
Thanks,
BLUTO :confused:

BLUTO said:
What tranny comes with a POWER/ECONOMY switch? I'm not challanging you, I'm just curious what year XJ, with what tranny?
Thanks,
BLUTO :confused:
my 90 laredo has it. I think it was part of the limiteds, laredo, and one other package....

Ok I am not all tensed and light up now.. But the AW4 is electronic, but many have done those switches and have had great sucsess.

My 89' had it as well. I think it was a limited option on the earlier ones.

MATT

my stripped down 91 sport has it. Whats the point of it anyway? I dont notice much of a difference except for when I put it on power the switch tends to get pretty hot.

DDCxj said:
my stripped down 91 sport has it. Whats the point of it anyway? I dont notice much of a difference except for when I put it on power the switch tends to get pretty hot.

Mines an '89 Limited.

The power/economy just changes the rpm/shiftpoint higher or lower respectively.

The power/economy switch was in the earlier models. In power it raises the shift points approx 500 rpm. I set mine on power and tucked it up under the dash. Put a more important toogle in its place, like more rear lighting.

Wow! Interesting responses! OK now, this is not a stupid question. Its not like I asked about putting a body lift on a XJ. So relax a bit.
I have the 4.0 engine and automatic trans out of a '93 Cherokee country, I'm putting it in my '85 Scrambler. I wanted a nicer shifter than the donor Cherokee provided.The Cherokee did not have a power/economy switch, I know exactly what switch you mean, I had one in my '87 pioneer.

Thank you XJZ for answering about the availability of an aftermarket shifter.
I guess I'll just use the Cherokee shifter.

Could anyone PLEASE help me about the modification to hold the transmission in low gear. Thanks, Mike

LeJeepnut said:
Wow! Interesting responses! OK now, this is not a stupid question. Its not like I asked about putting a body lift on a XJ. So relax a bit.
I have the 4.0 engine and automatic trans out of a '93 Cherokee country, I'm putting it in my '85 Scrambler. I wanted a nicer shifter than the donor Cherokee provided.The Cherokee did not have a power/economy switch, I know exactly what switch you mean, I had one in my '87 pioneer.

Thank you XJZ for answering about the availability of an aftermarket shifter.
I guess I'll just use the Cherokee shifter.

Could anyone PLEASE help me about the modification to hold the transmission in low gear. Thanks, Mike
ORGS or XJ Nation has the writeup on their website....I don't have a link handy, anyone?

You could always make one... electrically pretty easy(comparitively thinking). Assuming the transmission responds to different voltage and signals maybe different frequencies, get the signal voltages etc. and hook up a regular knob shifter just to a ball joint mounted somewhere, and make electrical contacts that touch it just underneath the console and when it hits the contact it allows continuity to the circuit...saying transmissin shift up...or transmission shift down.... I think this sounds like my project for semester for my lab... I'm gonna look more into this.

Now does anyone have a page or two on the electronic controls for the AW4 out of a service manual? :lecture:

IF the AW4 is 100% electronic...are y'all saying one can shift it through ALL the gears (incl reverse) and into-out of Park with switches? Leave the cheesy plastic console & shifter at the dumpster with all the other useless plastic junk they stuck in the interior? I'll believe that when I see it.

Here's the link for the 1<->2 and TC lockup toggle switch mod for 96 & older XJs:

http://www.bigoffroad.com/pages/bigpages/bigtech/2ndgear.htm

Unlike many who talk about it, I have DONE the mod per the link above and it is a good one IMHO. I'd do it again to a trail rig with an AW4.

Using the shift toggle, I put the trans shifter in 1-2 and toggle between 1st OR 2nd. Put the trans shifter in D and toggle between 3rd OR 4th. Also with the other TC toggle, I can effect TC lockup/unlock whenever and wherever I feel it's appropriate.

I used push-pull switches (like the headlight sw) on either side of the hand brake lever, just below the console lid: no reaching... If you have a remote power mirror switch, one of those spots is taken... I used Radio Shack PN 276-1114 diodes.

As for aftermarket shifters, I looked, but found none. If the 'race look' is what's needed, strip the console off and craft an aluminum shroud/cover for the existing one. Someone just did a post awhile ago (past week+-) on swapping in a ZJ(?)WJ shifter handle in place of the XJ version (for a different/newer 'look') A search ought to point that up.

HTH

Art carr makes an aftermarket shifter I believe. I would give them a call.------Kyle

I have the write up on fitting a ZJ handle to the XJ shifter which will at least change the look and comfort. I also have a write up on fitting the 1st gear lock out switch too. You asked for something to hold it in low but the standard shifter does that so long as you stay below the red line! The switch that others are talking about is to lock it in second gear to stop the sudden down shift to 1st when you dont want it to.

See here http://go.jeep-xj.info

Frank Z said:
Woody,
The link you posted doesn't work.

Woody posted the link back in January 2004.

For the last word in shifting your AW-4, though, PM BrettM or go to www.awshifting.com. THAT's the ticket for holding first, or second, or third, or fourth, or locking the torque converter, or just leaving it in auto. It even works real good if you're swapping an AW-4 into a formerly 5-spd rig.

Back