• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

better towing capacity?

Spydus43

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All,

I love these new boards. I've used 'em before at: http://scrambler.cj-8.com/ They're great.

I need some advice to possibly rationalize new gears. I'm planning a move from Tacoma, WA back to Raleigh, NC this summer.

Rather than waste money on a Uhaul, I'd rather put that $$ into my XJ.

What is the best approch to increase the towing capacity of my cherokee? Can I just put in new gears in the rear diff or do I need to make mods to the tranny?

Thanks,
Will Myers

The first thing you'll need is a tranny cooler. More power = less shifting while towing = easier on tranny. Run synthetic in your diffs, slightly heavier than normal (I can't remember the exact viscosity). What are the specs of your cheokee? (if they are in your profile I'm sorry, I forgot to check before I started typing)

well.. what do you have? stick? auto????

In either case
1. With auto you shouldn't go over 5000 lbs under any condition
2. With stick.. officially no more then I think 2500 lbs...
3. Better gears will help but will not increase load (other things might break)
4. Anything over 1000 lbs I recommend having a brake controller
5. For towing put the heavier oil just like the manual suggests
6. For auto as suggested put the tranny coller

Kejtar

I've got an automatic and a 4.0L.

I not looking to tow anything huge. Just a mid-size U-haul:
5' x 8' Trailer - max load of 2500 lbs.

I won't be towing on a regular basis but need to get across the country (and the rockies) safely.

Will

I'd not only do the aux. trans cooler, but since you're going that far I'd also consider upgrading your brakes as best you can. Right before you take the trip do a brake job, inspect it, change all fluids, and completely drain and bleed the brake system.

Back