• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shortening the frame

jaggedsteel

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all - after cutting a section of the frame out would 1/4" thick angle iron be suffiecient reinforcement? I plan to use 2 pieces therefore completely boxing the cut area at least 20" in each direction then plug and stitch welding the angle to the frame rails. Think this will be strong enough?

Just watched a bunch of high school kids shorten a VW Bug frame on Monster Garage and all they did was weld the seam after sliding the two halves together. I didn't see any reinforcements, so I was wondering if what I want to do will hold since their flimsy crap did.

Thanks

Mike

how do you plan to cut the frame? unless my idea of the design of a uni body is you'd have to pretty much cut the jeep in half completly...I don't think you can just cut the frame.....I may be wrong here, but either way it sounds a project!

jaggedsteel said:
Hi all - after cutting a section of the frame out would 1/4" thick angle iron be suffiecient reinforcement? I plan to use 2 pieces therefore completely boxing the cut area at least 20" in each direction then plug and stitch welding the angle to the frame rails. Think this will be strong enough?

Just watched a bunch of high school kids shorten a VW Bug frame on Monster Garage and all they did was weld the seam after sliding the two halves together. I didn't see any reinforcements, so I was wondering if what I want to do will hold since their flimsy crap did.

Thanks

Mike

The correct way to do this with a conventional frame is to taper a covering plate after you have butt-welded the shortened section together...

It should look like this:

<> which is placed over the | seam - you do not want any vertical weldments in a frame joining job - drilling hole and doing rosette welds are a good thing as well...

Also be aware that frames that are joined with rivets are tempered steel and should not be welded unless you have means to strain relieve the welds and re-temper the HAZ from the weld and filler/ alloyed material...

HTH

Matt

But, rather than just butt welding the rail back together, stagger your cut. Start by cutting half way down through the rail; then make a lateral cut, 12" to 20". Finish cutting down to the bottom of the rail.

Frame_section.JPG

remove the area in gray and slide the two pieces back together and weld.

Sorry guys, I should have clarified that I wanna do this to an MJ longbed, like Phil said. I took it wheeling yesterday and the thing hits EVERYTHING with that overhang. I gotta cut it.

Matt: I see what you are saying about a tapered cover plate. With that in mind, if I box the cut in completely with 1/4" thick angle, after butt welding the halves together, would it be enough for trail strength?

Thank you all!

Mike

what are you trying to accomplish? are you shortening the wheelbase by chopping out frame between the wheels or just chopping off behind the rear wheels? If you're trying to lose wheelbase, it seems like you could slide the axle forward nearly a foot just by moving the spring and shackle hangers and not chopping the frame. any farther than that and you would probably run out of room for the axle on compression. I would shoot for 108-110 inch wheelbase if I were you.

Back